Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am helping my father in-law with his 1970 Malibu. It has an original 307 and is 99% all original.
He is having problems with the alternator charging. We replaced the alternator (twice), battery, voltage regulator, belt, and horn relay. The car shows 14 Volts at the back of the alternator above 1000 RPM. The battery shows 11.6 volts before starting and 14 volts when running the motor at 1000RPM.

The problem is that he will drive around and the car will stop charging at some point causing the battery to run down.
We have narrowed the problem down to wires or this relay that we do not know the official name of it.

It is a Delco Remy part, 881 12V on it. It was mounted with two screws on the left side of the firewall. It has 4 connectors on it and looks like an old relay. What is this part and could it be the source of our problem?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After asking some people, we think that the relay that we are trying to identify is for the AC/blower. It looks like our problems are in the 33 year old wires.

·
Premium Member
9,801 Posts
Trace the wire from the battery to the post on the alternator. It may go first to a terminal block on the radiator support and then to the horn relay stud and then on to the alternator. If the connections are all clean and there are no breaks or burned spots, try a nice new electronic voltage regulator. They are cheap and work very well.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Here's a trick I use, follow the wires like JWagner says, but disconnect them one at a time and burnish the connections. Then,(this is the important part), use anti-oxidant on the connections. Then ensure the connections are firmly tightened. You can get anti-oxident at an electrical supply house, Lowes, or Home Depot, in the electrical area.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts