Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if a fan shroud was available on a 66 396/375 car and if so, was it made of plastic or metal? I have seen pictures of both but the restoration manual says that no shroud was available.

Thanks, Steve

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
Generally, when you ordered RPO V01 Heavy-Duty Radiator (standard with a/c) you got a shroud. One exception was for off-road use, namely L88 Corvettes. As for L78s I think you did get a plastic shroud when the H.D. radiator option was specified. The H.D. radiator WAS NOT standard with the L78; or I should say that you got a 391 sq. in. area rad with a finger guard brazed onto the top tank. The V01 H.D. rad was offered at extra cost & included a shroud.
Bill Smith, who since '68 has owned his beautiful '66 L78 SS396 featured way back at this site, does not use a shroud ( http://www.chevelles.com/feature/66396_3.htm ). It looks to me like a standard radiator. Keep in mind that the area on the standard rad with a big block early Chevelle would be 391 sq in.

In Super Chevy, Dec '88 there is a feature on a 3,415 original mile L78-powered El Camino with a H.D. rad. It does not have a shroud. What I say is this: It should either have a finger guard on the top tank, or it should have a shroud. That one has neither, which strongly suggests that the shroud had been removed at some point (assuming the rad is original).

The separate option, RPO K02 Temperature-Controlled Fan, WAS included with the L78.

Looking in the '67 Assembly manual (I know, you asked about a '66), under the L78 section it mentions radiator & radiator shroud as being a non-illustrated part and you should see the Bill Of Materials for the part #s. Hmmm…
The '66 Factory-Installed Optional Equipment list doesn't really say whether the shroud is included or not, and it doesn't even refer to the L78. Chevy did advertise the 375-horse engine in Hot Rod Magazine.

I'm not trying to be a know-it-all, but I stand by what I say when I claim that V01 with a shroud was optional on the L78, and that K02 Viscous-Fan was standard. Hey, if someone has some proof then let's see it. (Ooh, it sure is lonely out here out on a limb…)

P.S. The sixes and small-blocks used metal shrouds with V01.

[This message has been edited by Cam (edited 10-13-99).]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. The car has a plastic shroud and there was a metal one in the trunk that appears to have the right bolt pattern. I recently bought a 66 Chevelle promotional video at a swap meet and there is a brief shot of the engine compartment that shows a metal shroud with the ribs like the one I have in a SS396 car. Of course, this has to be the stupidest video I have ever seen so it may not be too authentic in detail.

Thanks for all your info.
Steve

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.