Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my '64 El Camino about 15 years ago, and it has never had a fan shroud. It hasn't ever overheated; but in LA traffic, it can get scarily close. Does anyone know if the '64 had a stock fan shroud? If I look hard enough, will I be able to find one? Alternatively, has anyone modified another shroud to (easily) fit a '64?

------------------
'64 El Camino
350cid, 700R4

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
FYI, my '65 EC (327/250HP) has fan shroud. Can't imagine the'64 being designed w/o a shroud.

Haven't seen a '64 in the junkyard in years, but somebody is probably parting out a '64. if you search the web and put out a wanted poster, maybe you can find one.

wish they would make more repro sheet metal for earlier chevelles.

good luck

·
Registered
162 Posts
In 65 fan shrouds only came on 327s and AC cars (and maybe also a heavy-duty cooling coption). I imagine things were about the same in 64. Bottom line is that most cars didn't have fan shrouds. Probably not real easy to find now. I'm sure there many other fan shrouds which can be made to work. You will need brackets on your radiator to bolt the shroud to (I don't think the rather wimpy original radiators had these brackets). Good luck. --- Carl

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
When I was a Reno's Hot August Nights this year, I asked the owner of True Connections, who had a space at the swap, what would work for my 64 elky and 64SS and he told me a 66 big block fan shroud will work without mods, so I'm buying 2 very soon. Good luck, Tony.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Fkruger,
My 64 EC didn't have one either and I don't think they did. If your radiator has a flange with mounting holes on it take measurments and contact some of the restoration parts businesses to see what they can tell you.
Bill

------------------
Team Chevelle Member #322
Long time Chevelle fan and an owner since 1973 :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hey FK,
64 & 65 had a shroud with A/c option, but it wasn't much of a shroud. I have one off my 65 SS but don't use it, because it isn't very effective. I use dual electric fans instead. I have read that a 66 SB shroud will fit with slight mods but don't know that for sure. Anyone done that? mgg

·
Registered
622 Posts
I put a chrome shroud with homemade stainless brackets on my 64 elky

------------------
Gotta have a Chevy !In Durham N.C.
Why is there never enough time or money to do it right the first time, but ALWAYS enough to do it over?
Make it look the way you like it, forget what the other guys say!

·
Registered
76 Posts
It's my understanding that 64 A/C cars and high performance cars had fan shrouds. I've got a 64 fan shroud - there isn't much to it. Watch out for after market stuff. I bought a composit shroud from Don Hughey - not even close.

------------------
Jerry Acheson
Indianapolis, IN
64 Malibu SS 327 PG/PS/AC

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.