Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently put a 383 engine in my 65 SS Chevelle along with a new 3 row radiator. The water temperature runs about 175 degrees until I get stuck idling in traffic, where it creeps slowly ever upwards until I break out of the traffic or turn the engine off. 205 is as high as I can stomach the temp creep.
The fan is at a acceptable distance from the engine.

Q: What model/year fan shroud will work on
a 65 Chevelle.

·
Registered
447 Posts
When I was running a small block I bought a 66 shroud and carefully trimmed it to fit around the power steerning ect. It fit very well and I think I only had to re drill two holes to line up with the stock radiator mounting holes! They are easy to trim with a hack saw blade. I was running a 4 row at the time so your trim job may be even easier!

Mark

------------------

<A HREF="http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/Mark50265ss-7" TARGET=_blank>65 MalibuZZ502/200R4/9inch
</A> 1 2 3 4
The 502
1 2 3
72SS/402/T400
97 Chevy Tahoe/Whipple Supercharged

·
Registered
500 Posts
Nebulous, I recently grabbed a fan shroud out of a 65 velle at the boneyard hoping it would fit my kids 67. No such luck though. The bad thing is I did take it back. If you can,t come up with one let me know and I'll be glad to see if they still have it. It is quite pricey though, $5.
Let me know if I can help.

------------------
http://72sselcamino1.tripod.com/calscaminos/

·
Registered
500 Posts
Fusion, I'll go tomorrow and get it if they still have it. It's yours if Nebulous doesn't want it. If that one is gone, I know there is one that had a chuck gone out of it. I'm sure that one is probably still there. If your desperate enough, could that one be fixed good enough to get you buy. The car also had a nice heater box, if anyone could use that. I bought one for the 67, they charged me $20 I think for that. Hell guys, I'm bored to death. I been off work for several months with rotor cuff surgery. I'm starting to move around pretty good now and I have nothing to do all day. If anyone wants to e-mail me a parts wanted list, I'd be glad to see what I could find.(This is not a parts for sale ad. I don't have the parts.) Just trying to help out some TCr's and give me something to do.

------------------
http://72sselcamino1.tripod.com/calscaminos/

·
Super Moderator
16,020 Posts
BTW: 205 degrees really isn't that bad. Most average small blocks run 185 or 195 degree thermostats. That number means the temp at which they open, not the highest temp the engine is supposed to run.

If your temp was reaching 225-230 or above it could be time to begin to worry. 205 should not concern you if that's all the higher it goes.

------------------
NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998
YesterYears Chevys #52949
Rich's 1965 Malibu SS Restoration Project Progress Page
1:18 scale diecast car Detailing by Scooter

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.