Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently researching the engine in my 69 SS Chevelle. It is apparent that someone has restamped the deck with the partial VIN# from the car, but after checking the casting # 3916323 I found that the block was an early 1968 casting. From the trim tag I found that my car was built the first week of July 1969. Is there anyway that you can find out what casting # came in the car orignally from the VIN # 136379G362978 ?
or the trim tag info sequence # 125503.???

·
Registered
11,298 Posts
Dale,no,the vin id does not directly designate the block casting id.

Your situation is very clear,your car built in july 69 should have a 272 396 block,the 1968 323 396 block thats currently in your 69 is clearly the wrong block.

Another poss would be if your car was built very late in 69 (which it wasnt)like late aug to early sept 69 getting into the begining of early 70 car build time then you could poss get an early 70 854 402 block which some late 69s had.

But your car would have had to be built late aug-early sept 68 to poss get an end of prod 1968 323 block which is impossible because your car was built much later in June of 69 which is 9-10 months after the 68 prod run/yr ended.

Sorry to see you were ripped off,if you paid more for this car being told it was #'s matching which it's not then its easy to prove the 323 block you have is not the original and you could take him to small claims court & poss recoup some $.

Scott

·
Registered
432 Posts
Another poss would be if your car was built very late in 69 (which it wasnt)like late aug to early sept 69 getting into the begining of early 70 car build time then you could poss get an early 70 854 402 block which some late 69s had.

But your car would have had to be built late aug-early sept 68 to poss get an end of prod 1968 323 block which is impossible because your car was built much later in June of 69 which is 9-10 months after the 68 prod run/yr ended.

Scott
All of Scotts observations are true exept for one, the late 68 casting number is actually #3935440, not #3916323. #323 is the early 68 casting number. The changover was sometime in Feb 68 as near as I can tell. Some very early 69 cars will use this casting number, and the Aug/Sept timeframe is about right. Also, the time frame he gives for the late cars is a little long. I believe the latest one I have ever seen was August 1st week. Camaros and Corvettes did run longer. He is correct that some of these cars use the #3969854 block, and all of these I have ever documented used the three digit suffix and were 402 bore. Scott is also right, too bad someone pulled a fast one here. Makes us all remember to check them out carefully before spending the cash.
Jeff Dotterer
Dated Components
Diamond Restored Judge

·
Registered
11,298 Posts
Jeff,opps i forgot about the later 440 68 396 blocks,thanks for correcting me on that one.

It just too bad what happened here esp if he paid a lot more $ for the car thinking it was truely #'s matching.

Scott

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Jeff,opps i forgot about the later 440 68 396 blocks,thanks for correcting me on that one.

It just too bad what happened here esp if he paid a lot more $ for the car thinking it was truely #'s matching.

Scott
Not to rub salt in the wound, but its also possible that the car is not even a true SS, which is obviously worse than if its just not matching #s

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
is there any real reason to think the PO knew it was wrong? Maybe he bought it like that and never did the homework.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The dealer knew what he was doing from the start on this deal. I have gone over this car with a fine tooth comb. The cars is a true SS, but wrong color, wrong seats, rusted out floor ( he advertised no rust ), restamped motor, never rebuilt as advertised( engine has orignal GM pistons, car has never been restored as advertised, orignal dash etc...
I may need help with this lawsuit, anyone familiar with this type of thing?

·
Super Moderator
13,362 Posts
restamped motor, never rebuilt ?
Dale,

If the engine block was never rebuilt, how did they restamp the block without the old numbers showing ?? Was the block deck resurfaced ? It should be very obvious if it was. Maybe I am a bit naive, but I just cannot imagine somebody completely disassembling an engine just to deck and restamp the block without going through it. At least not on a car like this. A 100 grand resto museum piece, maybe. How bout a pic of the deck where the numbers are stamped.

Sorry guys, but I really am skeptical about some of these claims. Who is to say that the block did not sit around some GM plant for 6 months before being assembled. In an organization that large, stuff probably gets lost all the time. Anything is possible. I know there is a lot of documentation available showing some of these numbers, but unless one of us was there back in 1969, youu can never say that it NEVER could have happened.

By the way, the definition of "rebuilt" can range anywhere from a ring and bearing job to a complete remanufacturing of the engine. Just because it has GM pistons in it does not mean it has not been "rebuilt"

I would still like to see a picture of the number pad.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
I have gone over this car with a fine tooth comb. The cars is a true SS, but wrong color, wrong seats, rusted out floor
I'm assuming that there is paperwork to support that its a true SS. Otherwise, with all the other questionable aspects of this car, you'll have a hard time convincing people this is a real SS.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
I may need help with this lawsuit, anyone familiar with this type of thing?
Bryan Shook is an attorney who hangs out here and at yenkos.net, and the law firm at which he works has a specialization in classic car fraud. Here's a link to their website with info:

http://www.dcdlaw.net/carfraud.htm

Good luck!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The heads had been changed to a 67 truck casting. The machinist that I took this motor to is probably the most respected in the state. Grice's Machine in Durant, OK. He checked the motor over from bottom to top. He said the motor had been worked on, but never rebuilt. It still had orignal GM pistons, rods etc... The rings were terrible. I would send you pics if I knew how??

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
http://www.decodethis.com VIN #136379G362978

This is where I ran the VIN. See what you come up with.

Ouch - looks like you put your trust in some bad data :sad: Never heard of that database, but its off. Every two-door 69 Malibu VIN starts with 13637, whether its an SS or not.

·
Gold Founding Member
64,454 Posts
Someone posted about that site before and Dale set them straight.
Too bad they are misleading folks by putting up the wrong info on the WWW because some people believe anything they see on the internet. :mad:

http://www.chevelles.com/shop/ss_ident.html

Digit 1= Chevrolet division
2nd & 3rd digits= Series -
Malibu 8 cylinder
4th & 5th digits = body style - 2 door sport coupe
6th digit= Year
7th digit=Assembly plant - Framingham, MA
Last 6 dgits = production numbers.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Seems to be a lot of confusing data on these cars. Another myth I have heard is that Chevrolet can pull up exactly the options the car came off the line with, but it is a dealer program only. Any truth to this?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well guys thanks for all the info. I am currently starting legal procedings against this dealer. I hope that it will stop a little of the fraud going on in the market and open the eyes of others. If my case can help someone else I will be glad to share my experience with them.
I would rather be discussing other things, how nice my car drives, how orignal it is, can we meet at the car shows etc... than what I have been discussing.
Again thanks to everyone for their input.
Dale

·
Registered
11,298 Posts
Good luck Dale and keep us posted through this post as to how your doing with this lawsuit,maybe we can be of more assistance along the way so dont hesitate to ask whenever you feel the need.

scott

1 - 20 of 21 Posts