Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about building a stand where I can start and run an engine prior to installation.

It's a computerized SFI 3.4L with the DIS - this will be changed to a older type setup with a carb and a distributor with a vacuum cannister, no computer.

I can rig most of it, but am lost as how to hook up the electrical system.

As far as the electric fuel pump, I plan on simply running a rubber hose from the one that's in the car (66 MGB). It clicks to prime the float bowls when the ignition is turned "on", so I guess that'll work independently without a problem. The pressure may be a little low, but good enough to run the engine.

As far as the stand and necessary wiring goes I'm pretty sure it'll need its own battery. Should it have a grounding rod driven into the ground connected to the negative terminal?

Does this thing need an alternator? The stock 94 Camaro V6 alternator is included with the engine.

What would be a good substitute for the ignition switch? I'd like to be able to turn it off.

Any other stuff I forgot?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Go ahead and use the alternator. You don't need a ground rod on it. Just ground the battery to the block and that's your negative, just like when it's in a car.

For the ignition switch, get a cheapo one in the automotive electrical department at Wal-Mart (they sell 'em for boats). Just run a hot wire to the switch. There's one terminal that's will be hot in the "start" position. Wire this to the starter solenoid. The other is hot in the "run" position. Wire this one to the 12V input on the distributor. No worries.

For fuel supply, you could gravity feed the carb rather than having to plumb it from a car. Just be sure and have a shutoff valve in the fuel line if you do it this way.

What are you doing for exhaust? Some flex tubing and cheap mufflers would help quiet things down a bit.

You'll also need a cooling system. A radiator and fan or some other sort of heat exchanger.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
If you want to get some dimensions and idea's on building a test stand then go to www.mightymount.com and click on specs page or tech info. the test/run in stand that they sell is a nice set up and size,I have seen it in person and thought the same thing about just building it myself.
Also they sell just seperate parts for the stand if there is a part that is too hard for you to make,just tell them that you own one of their test stands and you need a replacement part.
Hope this helps,
Dave

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chad,
Thanks for the details on the wiring and where to get a suitable ignition switch.

I check a schematic on the alternator wiring - don't know it it's a one-wire deal or not.

I have a spare radiator to use, either with the engine fan (if it comes with one) or a portable electric fan. This would be the perfect time to use a set of mini gauges I've had for years.

I was also planning on using some flex pipe, as you mentioned, going into a left over 5 or 6' piece of 2" pipe with an old, hardly used muffler.

I like the gravity feed fuel idea - I'll do it.

Dave,
Thanks for the link. That's very similar to what I had in mind. I like the 18-wheel style exhaust. I remember seeing something similar in an old magazine article. Since I don't have any welding equipment, but do have some lumber, I'll make it out of 2x6's and 2x4's - casters will be from an old guitar amp.

This is one of those times when being a pack rat might pay off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts