Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 1971 El Camino. It's not a 10/10 restoration and it's not a race car. I just like things to work correctly. Does anyone out there know of a supplier for the factory type wire connector housings? I'm upgrading the A/C system to a newer CCOT system with R134a and I'm trying to find the correct connector housings for the somewhat different connectors that attach to the switches located in the heater-A/C dash control panel. In those years, Chevrolet only used a relay to the high speed circuit of the blower motor and ran the other three reduced speeds through the blower switch in the dash control panel. Because those reduced speeds relied on the three high-current resistors found in the evaporator case housing in the engine compartment, they were prone to high heat in the wiring circuits between the blower switch and the blower motor resistors which resulted in melted connections at the blower switch and A/C master switch. This situation is complcated and/or accelerated if your blower motor begins to wear or develops more resistance from dirt and corrosion. I'm going to add a high current relay in between the blower switch and the blower motor resistors (each speed requires its own relay). This will eliminate the high current in any of the under dash wiring. It's a lot safer and will last more than forever. Chevrolet used to publish a 'Standard Parts Catalog' where you could find these connectors but that catalog is now part of the GM parts database accessible only by dealership parts personnel.
Does anyone know where I could find the last 'printed' version of the Standard Parts Catalog? I'd be willing to scan it and return it to you or work out something to get a copy of yours. The companies that make reproduction harnesses REFUSE to sell the connector housings separately. I am making too many changes to make buying and modifying a reproduction harness worth it.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
You might try going back to some connector manufacturers' catalogs. Amp, Cannon. Semtec or someone else may make a style of connector for your modification. The dealers near me let me dig around in the catalogs if they are not real busy. Only thoughts I have.

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
Louie, I have an AC/DELCO pigtails catalog that might have what you are looking for in it. It is catalog # 16A-101, Go to your local AC-DELCO parts retailer and see if they can help you.

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction.
Maryland Chevelle Club

·
Premium Member
9,801 Posts
Check with the wiring harness companies (M&H, Painless,etc) and see if they sell loose connector bodies. I once found a website for a company that sells some of this and posted the URL here. However, I cannot remember the name of the outfit. Try a search on Google, too.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all of you for the great suggestions. I'll try the local Chevy dealership for that AC/Delco pigtail catalog tomorrow. I would still like to find a copy of the standard parts catalog if anyone runs across one. By the way; for anyone who has never looked through a standard parts catalog, you have NO IDEA what you're missing, there is so much neat stuff in there.
Thanks again.
Louie

·
Registered
939 Posts
You might want to try an get ahold of a "Global Connection Systems Catalog" from Delphi Automotive Systems. This will have all the connector housings and pins that you probably will need.

-Erik

1 - 6 of 6 Posts