Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my temperature gauge working
and my victory inspired me to install a factory trunk light (easier said than done getting it out of the old car and running it properly into mine...

anyway, I don't think it is turning off. Where is the switch for the light? I saw a ground wire on my latch so i expected it went off when the latches were touching but I don't think it is, I tested by closing the trunk and waiting then opening it to see if the bulb was hot, it was hot but I had had it open for a while, maybe it didn't have time to cool?

If there is a switch where is it located? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
No switch. It activates as you open the trunk. M & H will sell you a new harness, minus light bulb, for about $25.00.

·
Premium Member
7,908 Posts
We had a '67 Chevelle and the trunk light was tied in with the parking lights. It had a built in mercury switch but had to have the parking lights on to work. Strange? Our '72 Lemans has a mercury switched light that is powered all the time.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My car had the factory harness it was just taped back since my car didnt come with a light, so I just unplugged the light from the other car and ran the wire through the trunk, plugged it up and voila...let there be light (and LOTS of it unlike the wussy underhood lights on new cars I'm used to)

I was just unsure if it was going off and didn't want a dead battery.

Thanks guys!

Tonight I'll pull a marker lamp and close it and see if its going off, if not I'll install a simple toggle switch somewhere in the wire.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The light is staying on, I'm not in the mood to turn the key and have a dead battery and I don't feel like hunting the gremlin, so I'm opting to install a toggle switch.

Plus this way I can open the trunk for extra sub sound when I have my car pulled close to my friends pool without the light running the power down (the stereo does a good enough job of that)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts