Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sent out my factory tach for my 65 malibu to be repaired because it would work and then suddenly die. I just got off the phone with the guy and he tells me the circuit board is shot and that they are not available any more and he has to custom build one making the repair bill turn into $300. Anyone have any suggestions?

------------------

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Sounds hugely steep. Stop the repair until you do some scrounging. Check the repro shops and also shops like Camaro Specialities 716-652-7086, which may have a used tach. Christ, digital dashes are $600!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
If the tach would work ocassionaly then die, I doubt very seriously that the circuit board is beyond repair. I am an electical engineer and have repaired many circuit cards, tachs and several 70-72 flex circuits. 9 times out of 10 it is a bad solder joint. Back then these were all single sided etched cards. If the etch is raised, glue it back down, if the etch is broken jumper it with a wire. It takes a tremendous amount of heat (current) to damage the fiberglass card beyond repair. If it is damaged beyond repair(which should mean some of the circuit is missing) and they don't make them any more what would he go by to build a new one from scratch? What would he use for parts and a schematic?
I would ask him if the circuit card is cracked or burnt, beyond repair. If it's cracked tell him to fix it with fiberglass resin. If it's burnt tell him to jumper the burnt etch.
Oh hell just send to me I'll fix it.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup Steve I beleive you are correct. I called Year One and there tach service they offer is about $300 bucks. The guy that called me back with the quote told me he used to have a muscle car. Im quite certain he knows how much to charge me regardless of whats wrong with it.

------------------

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.