Team Chevelle banner

factory ss427 66 chevelle

6096 Views 149 Replies 36 Participants Last post by  MikeN
what a crock of bs what u guys think
1966 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 396 in Turquoise & 427 Engine Sound on My Car
121 - 140 of 150 Posts

· Registered
7,285 Posts
As big as a repro parts house they claim to be you would think they would monitor social media and forums for Chevelles to A promote their brand and B answer any questions.

· Registered
985 Posts
Ditto. I like to think I work smarter, not harder now.

I would agree with that on most everything, but for ME with a Muncie or T10, sometimes it's just easier to crawl under there and bench press it in. Of course I am also using nice long pilot studs which makes it quite easy to get the weight off of me in seconds. With the nature of my hoist (BendPak P6) it gets awfully crowded under there, and not having to fight the jack in close confines seems a better option for ME. For most any other tranny, using the jack would not really be an optional.

· Registered
1968 Malibu Convertible, 427, 4 speed.
169 Posts
As big as a repro parts house they claim to be you would think they would monitor social media and forums for Chevelles to A promote their brand and B answer any questions.
You would think if they were taking a car to SEMA they would want to make sure it was a perfect restoration and everything being correct! That would show that they really know what they are doing selling reproduction restoration parts! I don't really see much at all that is correct on this car! If you ever call them for information about a part they always say they will have to get back to you as it seems no one really knows anything about what they are selling! And yes, there were never 427's installed at the factory, but at dealers it did happen! Only my opinions!

· Registered
2,863 Posts
color overrides happened all the time and is not as rare as one might think.
I contacted pontiac high performance editor at when I started finding this info. What a stroke of luck. He lived 35 miles from me and asked me to drive the car to him. He put an article in their magazine for 3 years in a row called Patriotic Bird. My phone # was in there. In 3 years I got 6 replies with same interior cars but none with same engine. John Sawruck confirmed all the engine ID numbers to go with the car as a Plaza 1 car that was supposed to get the original ram air 3 back but never did.
Rick

· Registered
7,285 Posts
Too many internet gurus on here with 0 personal experience. Think what they read is gospel.
Rick
So what personal experience do you have? 55 years later I’m still waiting for some merit behind this fantasy tail

· Premium Member
14,056 Posts
The original post was about 66 Chevelle factory 427. This discussion has gone way off track in many directions!
Yes that's true, but that's very common on any car board for a thread that runs 7 pages long. Furthermore, the OP is always welcome to steer it back on track with more comments or information about the specific topic if he so chooses. So no harm no foul the way I see it. It isn't like the days when we had an obnoxious guy here posting giant pics of his red 68 Chevelle at the dragstrip in every single thread he participated in, and telling everyone that "NOBODY" has a Chevelle that launches like his does, and that people were not a "real" drag racer like he was.:LOL:

That guy completely wasted whatever knowledge he had to offer others, by turning every single thread he entered, into a flame fest and completely ruining any chance of technical discussion.

· Premium Member
12,405 Posts
For anyone that is interested here is another “427 thread” where the OP was making claims he couldn’t support. I forgot about this one. OP went away mad as they all do.

· Registered
311 Posts
They can’t even paint the headlight extensions correctly so how can you believe there research
OPG restored the car with parts that are currently available in todays market, and I'm 100% sure that they knew that the grille extensions were not correct. They did not "paint" the extensions as seen on the car - that is all that's available - no factory correct ones (as being all semi gloss black on a SS car), and I'm pretty sure that they know a whole lot more than you do when it comes to what correct parts go on a 1966 Chevelle.

· Registered
7,285 Posts
OPG restored the car with parts that are currently available in todays market, and I'm 100% sure that they knew that the grille extensions were not correct. They did not "paint" the extensions as seen on the car - that is all that's available - no factory correct ones (as being all semi flat black on a SS car), and I'm pretty sure that they know a whole lot than you do when it comes to what correct parts go on a 1966 Chevelle.
It takes less than ten minuets to scuff, tape and paint it correctly. There simply is no excuse beside being lazy and ignorant to details

· Premium Member
1970 Chevelle SS, 468, m20, 3:3:1 12 bolt posi.
106 Posts
My 1970 came with a 502 from the factory. But the air cleaner says 396 which was really a 402. But tracing the numbers back it was delivered with a 502. I just can't figure it out.

· Premium Member
Rochester, New York
2,085 Posts
OPG restored the car with parts that are currently available in todays market, and I'm 100% sure that they knew that the grille extensions were not correct. They did not "paint" the extensions as seen on the car - that is all that's available - no factory correct ones
I see your point, Flipper, but they also ignored other factory correct items (As I've already stated here), so I can't buy the "only available" parts idea. I mean - they painted the tail, right?
Yes - and then some other non-factory things I quickly saw on this video;
  • exhaust is exiting at the wrong place (although I like this exit better than what the factory did)
  • tail end with the blacked-out center (although I like this better than what the factory did)
  • 3 speed trans & 3 speed console (not available in 66)
  • chrome on the wiper arms (65 was last year for that)
  • painted black hood hinges (66 should be plated)
  • Tonawanda sticker on valve cover (not in 66)

· Registered
311 Posts
It takes less than ten minuets to scuff, tape and paint it correctly. There simply is no excuse beside being lazy and ignorant to details
I see your point, Flipper, but they also ignored other factory correct items (As I've already stated here), so I can't buy the "only available" parts idea. I mean - they painted the tail, right?
I had always thought that the rear panels on the '66 models always came from the factory with the same color as the body - no black panels like the '67's. I personally prefer the rear panel agreeing with the body color. I have also read that some of the early produced '66 cars came with the black rear panel - so I don't know what the real truth is.

· Registered
7,285 Posts
I had always thought that the rear panels on the '66 models always came from the factory with the same color as the body - no black panels like the '67's. I personally prefer the rear panel agreeing with the body color. I have also read that some of the early produced '66 cars came with the black rear panel - so I don't know what the real truth is.
The truth is that 98% of the SS cars came with the body color tail light panel. Some say very early Atlanta and Baltimore cars had them blacked out. I talked to a few Balt employees who worked there in 65 and 66 and some say they did and others say not. I have mine painted black because I like it. And two when I restored my car I found black paint back there on top of primer then bare steel. Who knows

chevellestuff.net use to have a write up on this, but the site seems to be down right now for some reason.

Reactions: Flipper

· Premium Member
1966 Chevelle S.S
574 Posts
I don't know if this helps but this is a picture of my Chevelle that I towed home in 1973, as you can see the rear panel is painted black.....don't know if the factory did the paint or maybe the dealership. Sorry the picture is not the best...

Attachments

· Registered
7,285 Posts
Seeing how the trim has been removed I am going to say it happened well after it left the factory

· Premium Member
8,896 Posts
Yes that's true, but that's very common on any car board for a thread that runs 7 pages long. Furthermore, the OP is always welcome to steer it back on track with more comments or information about the specific topic if he so chooses. So no harm no foul the way I see it. It isn't like the days when we had an obnoxious guy here posting giant pics of his red 68 Chevelle at the dragstrip in every single thread he participated in, and telling everyone that "NOBODY" has a Chevelle that launches like his does, and that people were not a "real" drag racer like he was.:LOL:

That guy completely wasted whatever knowledge he had to offer others, by turning every single thread he entered, into a flame fest and completely ruining any chance of technical discussion.
Didja ever notice no one mentions that name its like saying beetlejuice 3 times nothing good is gonna come from that.

Reactions: BillyGman
121 - 140 of 150 Posts