Team Chevelle banner

factory ss427 66 chevelle

6096 Views 149 Replies 36 Participants Last post by  MikeN
what a crock of bs what u guys think
1966 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 396 in Turquoise & 427 Engine Sound on My Car
101 - 120 of 150 Posts

· Registered
985 Posts
Not to stir up more debate here: but IMO any engines or cars from the late 70's and all through the 80's aren't even worth mentioning from a Hi-Perf standpoint anyway. Be they Corvettes or Grand national 6 bangers.
The dirty secret about all those muscle cars as the overwhelming majority weren't any faster than the best 80's cars. Everybody throws out LS6/Hemi Cuda/GSX numbers, but ignore the other 98% that couldn't get out of the 14's as delivered from the dealer. Yes, it was far easier to MAKE them faster, but that's not the point.

Reactions: 427L88

· Premium Member
Rochester, New York
2,085 Posts
I put a 427 BB in my 66 Malibu, and I get what I would consider knowledgeable car guys asking me if it came this way originally. I can understand why most people don't know that a 66 Malibu could not have come with a big block, let alone a 427. I just take it as a compliment that I did a good job of making it look like it's mostly factory with headers. :cool:
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood

· Registered
2,863 Posts
I would not say the 66' chevelle was impossible.
Around 1990 I came across a 70 1/2 Trans Am sitting by a house. It was white with a red stripe. Bought it for $1600. I immediately put some 400 grit on the end of a pencil eraser and sanded through the red stripe to blue. Ok. But it had a full red interior. That was not an option. I did a title search and got the original owner. Called and a lady answered. I explained why a stranger was calling her and her question was, does it have a red interior with a cigarette burn on the console. Yes. Her husband worked in marketing at Pontiac and had it done. The car was also a test mule for the 1971 455 HO. It was illegally sold out of Plaza 1 so I basically had baby sit that car until it was 25 years old.
Rick

· Registered
7,285 Posts
I would not say the 66' chevelle was impossible.
Around 1990 I came across a 70 1/2 Trans Am sitting by a house. It was white with a red stripe. Bought it for $1600. I immediately put some 400 grit on the end of a pencil eraser and sanded through the red stripe to blue. Ok. But it had a full red interior. That was not an option. I did a title search and got the original owner. Called and a lady answered. I explained why a stranger was calling her and her question was, does it have a red interior with a cigarette burn on the console. Yes. Her husband worked in marketing at Pontiac and had it done. The car was also a test mule for the 1971 455 HO. It was illegally sold out of Plaza 1 so I basically had baby sit that car until it was 25 years old.
Rick
color overrides happened all the time and is not as rare as one might think.

· Premium Member
14,056 Posts
The dirty secret about all those muscle cars as the overwhelming majority weren't any faster than the best 80's cars. Everybody throws out LS6/Hemi Cuda/GSX numbers, but ignore the other 98% that couldn't get out of the 14's as delivered from the dealer. Yes, it was far easier to MAKE them faster, but that's not the point.
Well some of that might have to do with the tires that were available back in the late 60's and early 70's. If you cannot even use full throttle during the first 60 feet at the track without doing a smoke show, then you won't be turning great ET's. Weren't there better tires available than Polyglass by the mid 80's??

· Registered
985 Posts
Well, I'm sure the tires helped, but my point was that pre-1972 horsepower numbers were inflated by unrealistic gross numbers. If that same 1989 L98 had been offered on the market in 1971, it would have likely been advertised at 325-330 HP, not anything to sneeze at. Like I said, sometimes we all get in our heads that every 60's "muscle car" was a properly spec'd and tuned LS6 or hemi. When I worked in a transmission shop in 1985, the tranny builder was the original owner of a LS6, but it was a automatic with 3:31 gears, and when I repeated the often quoted 13.1 second ET for the LS6, he flat out said "Well, maybe some of them, but not mine, mine never got even close to that." A LOT of those cars weren't near as fast as we like to remember them or think they were, especially in showroom tune. It is also now widely accepted that many if not most of the magazine test cars were in fact ringers.

· Premium Member
109 Posts
I remember reading an article in Hot Rod Magazine as a teenager in the 1980s about three (3) ‘71 Pontiac Le Mans stations outfitted at the factory as GTOs, all equipment fitted. As I recall, they were made for three guys at the factory. That said, I imagine it was documented somewhere. They’re likely all gone

IMHO, a dealer-installed engine would have to come with a properly-dated invoice from the dealer. Thus documented and genuine (though not factory). No proof, then pure speculation. I’d even pay a bit more for someone who only had sworn affidavits from the dealer mechanics who did the work.

What about conversions from celebrity-shops back in the day? Like the Baldwin Chevrolets from Long Island. Find one if you can— they are spendy indeed. What about Carroll Shelby conversions? Celebrity drag cars like Grumpy Jenkins, Muldowney, etc? Documentation and proven eyewitness history is key.

The gentleman has a lot of sleuthing to do. It could yield interesting and worthwhile history. Cheers if he does it! Otherwise, speculation is not money (or bragging rights) in the bank. P

Reactions: BillyGman

· Premium Member
12,405 Posts
I was at a local car show and making the rounds looking at all the cars. My buddy and I struck up a conversation with a guy with a C8 corvette. Beautiful car by the way.
Somehow the conversation drifted to installing engines and transmissions. The Corvette guy said he just bench presses the transmission in instead of using a jack. Now this guy was probably 70 years old and a little on the thin side. I've heard that before and 99% of the guys that claim that they did that I'm calling BS. The Corvette guy was definitely in that 99%.
When I hear something I know is BS I put that person in the Ahole catagory. Instead of impressing me which was the intention of the BS teller it makes me think "what a moron".
Had another guy at a car show tell me he had an original 70 LS6 Chevelle with air conditioning from the factory "one of 8 he said" which I know is BS. He was showing a very nice 65 Malibu convertible which he was flipping. The LS6 was home in the garage.
That's how I feel about these folks claiming factory 427 Chevelles. I know it's BS so instead of impressing me it puts them in the moron catagory.

· Super Moderator
14,020 Posts
I was at a local car show and making the rounds looking at all the cars. My buddy and I struck up a conversation with a guy with a C8 corvette. Beautiful car by the way.
Somehow the conversation drifted to installing engines and transmissions. The Corvette guy said he just bench presses the transmission in instead of using a jack. Now this guy was probably 70 years old and a little on the thin side. I've heard that before and 99% of the guys that claim that they did that I'm calling BS. The Corvette guy was definitely in that 99%.
When I hear something I know is BS I put that person in the Ahole catagory. Instead of impressing me which was the intention of the BS teller it makes me think "what a moron".
Had another guy at a car show tell me he had an original 70 LS6 Chevelle with air conditioning from the factory "one of 8 he said" which I know is BS. He was showing a very nice 65 Malibu convertible which he was flipping. The LS6 was home in the garage.
That's how I feel about these folks claiming factory 427 Chevelles. I know it's BS so instead of impressing me it puts them in the moron catagory.
I've bench pressed in Muncie 4-speeds quite a number of times and I'm not a huge guy. Now, the T56 in the GTO, not a chance, those things weigh a ton! HF trans jack to the rescue for that one. Even the old iron case Saginaw 3-speed in my old 72 Nova was too much to lift by myself as far as reinstalling into the car, but a Muncie 4-speed can be done by most.

· Premium Member
12,405 Posts
but a Muncie 4-speed can be done by most.
OK Rich I believe and agree with you about the Muncie. But wait till you are 70 years old and see if you are up to the task? Not to mention a simple floor jack can be made to install a transmission in a pinch. If one doesn't own a floor jack and has to resort to lifting a transmission by hand then they need to invest in some more tools. To be honest I own the Harbor Freight trans jack and after using that I would never consider installing a trans any lesser way. Even a Muncie.

Reactions: 71350SS

· Premium Member
6,585 Posts
Turbo 350 is 120lbs.
T56 is 125

I have myself swapped emptied 4l80e into a hmmwv myself already.

I sure hope you guys can bench more than 120 lbs.

Idk when I'm 70 but it's not THAT far out there.

You slide it onto your chest and away it goes.

· Premium Member
12,405 Posts
Well Shane the whole statement by a 70 year old male that he doesn't need or use a transmission/floor jack to install a transmission is most times said to impress those he is spilling the BS towards. In my example the guy is driving a brand new $100K Corvette and he was 70 possibly more years of age. Am I to believe that he is pulling stunts typical of someone in their teens or twentys. In my case I called BS.
Some of you may have done so with a transmission. Personally I resort to an easier way to accomplish the same task.
However we are getting off track. My whole point of bringing up my examples is some folks are just full of crap just as those spewing tales of factory 427 (except the COPO cars) Chevelles.

Reactions: 71350SS
101 - 120 of 150 Posts