factory ss427 66 chevelle

6096 Views 149 Replies 36 Participants Last post by  MikeN
what a crock of bs what u guys think
1966 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 396 in Turquoise & 427 Engine Sound on My Car
81 - 100 of 150 Posts

· Registered
7,285 Posts
It has a 427 in it yes?
Does anyone know if the pad matches? Do they have any paperwork?
it could be a 454 with a 396 crank for all I know and who cares. GM NEVER built a 427 Chevelle in 66 PERIOD. you can wish and dream and think of all the make believe stories all you want.

· Registered
Super Awesome Guy who rarely logs on
4,592 Posts
The Buicks only had H-speed rated tires from the factory, so they limited them to the tire's limit of 130. It's my understanding that the FBI ones were fitted with V speed tires, so Buick programed them to a higher limit or none at all. From what little info I could browse through, the Vette and the GN would have been awfully close in a drag race. Similar weight, similar HP, but of course the Vette has an aero edge and the much bigger rear tires and independent rear suspension should give the Vette a little advantage. I remember the GN's having Eagle GT's correct? Those things alone would be a reason to lose a drag race. I've never seen a tire before or since that combined so many bad characteristics in one tire. How do you make a tire too soft to last and yet have ZERO wet weather traction?
If you check out this website Buick GNX-Hagerty they talk about the GNX vs a Callaway Corvette. What they don't tell you is that when they did the drag racing against the Callaway Corvette...the GNX had two adults and two kids in the car. It pissed off the Corvette folks to no end. (I was fortunate to work with Tim Logsdon later on in his career-he had some damn cool stories to tell):

MIKE DOBLE, BUICK ADVANCED CONCEPTS MANAGER: My boss, Tim Logsdon, pulled me into Dave’s office and said, “We want to build a Grand National to end all Grand Nationals.” Our objective was to build the quickest-ever GM production sedan, a limited-production Grand National that auto writers would never forget and car collectors would want to own.
DOBLE: One guy showed up with a Callaway Corvette and a Chevrolet representative. He said, “Let’s see how hot your GNX is.” And we beat them on every run, straight-line acceleration and quarter-mile. But given another 300 feet, the Callaway—with a twin-turbo V-8 vs. our single-turbo V-6—would have won. The GNX was very quick but not long-winded. I think it did a hell of a lot of good for Buick. The people who bought them could afford them at $10,000 over the sticker price of the Grand National, and some sold for $80,000 to $90,000.

Reactions: 71350SS

· Registered
7,285 Posts
I get ya..
Just curious as to why they make that claim in their video being who they are.
people have been hoping and dreaming for years this unicorn is real and was built. until they can get some iron clad docs from GM, Tonawanda the Chevelle assembly plant it was built and the selling dealer. know one who knows anything about chevelles will believe this

· Premium Member
16,194 Posts
Just to be accurate, NONE of those vehicles were FASTER than a Corvette, but a few may have been quicker, and I even question some of that. I don't buy for a second that a 200 HP Grand National was beating a 230 HP C4 on a drag strip.
The Grand rated at 240 HP. Those cars would walk a corvette on the drag strip.
Just to be accurate, NONE of those vehicles were FASTER than a Corvette, but a few may have been quicker, and I even question some of that. I don't buy for a second that a 200 HP Grand National was beating a 230 HP C4 on a drag strip.
The Grand National was rated at 235 horsepower, conservatively. They were absolutely faster than the C4 corvette. The real power numbers from the inter cooled GN is closer to 300.

· Premium Member
14,056 Posts
Not to stir up more debate here: but IMO any engines or cars from the late 70's and all through the 80's aren't even worth mentioning from a Hi-Perf standpoint anyway. Be they Corvettes or Grand national 6 bangers.

· Registered
7,285 Posts
Not to stir up more debate here: but IMO any engines or cars from the late 70's and all through the 80's aren't even worth mentioning from a Hi-Perf standpoint anyway. Be they Corvettes or Grand national 6 bangers.
86 GN 1/4 mile 13.8
70 LS-6 1/4 mile 13.2
we can bench race all day long but your dragging this discussion way off base.

Reactions: 71350SS

· Premium Member
10,997 Posts
Corvettes were built in a different plant so why would they have 427 engines sitting at a Chevelle plant?
Corvettes weren't the only car to receive the 427 in 1966. I know this for a fact. I worked for GM South Gate and those things were stacked to the rafters in the chassis department. 390hp and 425hp versions.
We built B Bodies.

· Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Chevrolet Engineering built toys like 427 Camaros in 1967. They probably built a toy 427 Chevelle for engineering purposes, but nothing released to the public.
Why not offer a 427? GM has corporate layers of oversight and are averse to liability. Why did they do a COPO Chevelle in '69? Check out the competition with 428s, 426 Hemis, 440 Magnums... Chevy ended up passing the car off as an L78-powered SS396 with the SS badging removed. Within months GM lifted their self-imposed ban on the 400 c.i.d. ceiling anyway.

In an ironic twist, Delorean moved to head of Chevrolet for 1970. One of his mandates was de-proliferation of options. You'll notice that drivetrain & axle choices were greatly reduced for 1970. For all the extra options & trouble, Chevrolet wasn't making money co-measurate with the investment, so time to chop options. Delorean was sent in to make GMs value division more profitable. Also the climate for proliferating engine options was going away, with emissions legislation and all. Engineers had their hands full just getting cars legal for sale.

· Premium Member
10,997 Posts
Corvettes weren't the only car to receive the 427 in 1966. I know this for a fact. I worked for GM South Gate and those things were stacked to the rafters in the chassis department. 390hp and 425hp versions.
We built B Bodies.
Here's a real 66 SS L-88 427
I bought an over the counter L-88 short block from then Guardian Chevrolet in Brea Ca for $322.
I bought a pair of warrantied rectangle port heads with broken valve guides and then bought the necessary hardware to assemble these with the largest valves the available from Chevy.
I accommodated this with the 435hp tri power intake and carbs as well as air cleaner etc.
I was a dumb ass kid just learning to drive this kind of power but did manage an [email protected] 119mph with zero skills
at that time. This was an M-20 4 speed and 4:88 ring and pinion with a posi. Launching this car on my skill level was just plain silly but it was what it was. I still have the Lions Dragstrip timeslip for that run.
In July 68 I had to report to Uncle Sam so Being a lowly GM Employee with a hot rod appetite I could afford the car payment on my Military Budget.
Below is my then local newspaper ad. Love to find that car today.
It was an original California 360hp version loaded with emissions and that thing was one giant turd.
The L-88 was a monster back then.
Handwriting Font Material property Rectangle Parallel

· Premium Member
14,483 Posts
When you guys say “real” I think of a car built by GM with RPO codes. Anyone can build a fantasy engine car. We all know any Chevy SB or BB will fit in a chevelle.
Fantasy> ? L67 option, with polished Gm alloy heads? It was stamped "cancelled" in the assembly manual, and I'm just a dick that way.

Vehicle Car Hood Automotive lighting Grille

· Premium Member
16,194 Posts
Fantasy> ? L67 option, with polished Gm alloy heads? It was stamped "cancelled" in the assembly manual, and I'm just a dick that way.

View attachment 759753
Don't think I'll ever get use to seeing that car without the trips on it.

· Premium Member
14,483 Posts
Hey at "12 slow" what the heck can I lose Tom? Few more tries to hit 120mph in 1/4 or 92-4 mph here locally , clear up whatever issue it is. And then.....!

81 - 100 of 150 Posts