Team Chevelle banner

factory ss427 66 chevelle

5712 Views 149 Replies 36 Participants Last post by  MikeN
what a crock of bs what u guys think
1966 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 396 in Turquoise & 427 Engine Sound on My Car
1 - 20 of 150 Posts

· Premium Member
15,447 Posts
Yep I recall several over the years. Most of the time the new member making the claim leaves in a huff usually saying something along the lines of members here are Aholes.
I recall one guy that was claiming he knew a guy with a 70 SS wagon from the factory. He was so upset when he was told no such car existed that he threatened several members and was banned in his original thread.

· Premium Member
Rochester, New York
2,347 Posts
Of course I have no expertise or authority in this area, but I'll play the devil's advocate.

Everybody says there is no documentation that Chevrolet ever put a BB 427 into a 66 Chevelle. But what if they did and intentionally never documented it? I mean - they did have them readily available as they put them into Corvettes in 66, right? And they looked like a 396, so they could pass as a 396, right?

It's like my company that I retired from; upper management would do a "word of mouth" request in for a special product, and magically a special model would make it down the line and put aside to be picked up "later". So who can say an undocumented 427 special request never happened during the entire 66 production run at any of the manufacturing plants?

· Premium Member
66 chevelle ss 427 bb 4 speed
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I assume you’re reading the title and wondering whether we messed it up, but the answer is No. You’re looking at original 1966 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 396 that has been produced with the high performance 427

· Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Of course I have no expertise or authority in this area, but I'll play the devil's advocate.

Everybody says there is no documentation that Chevrolet ever put a BB 427 into a 66 Chevelle. But what if they did and intentionally never documented it? I mean - they did have them readily available as they put them into Corvettes in 66, right? And they looked like a 396, so they could pass as a 396, right?

It's like my company that I retired from; upper management would do a "word of mouth" request in for a special product, and magically a special model would make it down the line and put aside to be picked up "later". So who can say an undocumented 427 special request never happened during the entire 66 production run at any of the manufacturing plants?
its possible

· Registered
8,772 Posts

to bad the shipping reports from Tonawanda show no 427 being shipped to any A body assembly plant.

· Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

but i dont think the numbers on the block would match the vin just saying

· Registered
8,772 Posts
There are some real 427 cars 65 66 67 i have seen some BUUUUUT they did not leave the factory with that engine. Some were dealer installed some bough new wrecks and took out the 427 and put it in the chevelle. None were assembly line like the later C O P O ,S. Alex
Be hard to have a real 65 427 since Chevy never made a 427 in 65. And how can you call them real cars if they are fantasy cars built by back yard mechanics or a dealer swap that everyone falls back on with no proof

· Premium Member
Rochester, New York
2,347 Posts
to bad the shipping reports from Tonawanda show no 427 being shipped to any A body assembly plant.
This would fall under the "no documentation" thing. And were there any 1966 manufacturing plants that produced both a-bodies and b-bodies? (Which did get the 427)

Don't shoot me - I'm just playing devil's advocate :devilish:

· Premium Member
15,447 Posts
Yah I can confirm that car is a 427 factory 66 Chevelle. That was my old neighbors car. I remember the day he got it. If I recall correctly Houdini delivered it.You’ll never guess what was found in the trunk. It was Jimmy Hoffa.

· Registered
1968 Malibu Convertible, 427, 4 speed.
198 Posts

Corvettes were built in a different plant so why would they have 427 engines sitting at a Chevelle plant?

· Premium Member
20,179 Posts
There are some real 427 cars 65 66 67 i have seen some BUUUUUT they did not leave the factory with that engine. Some were dealer installed some bough new wrecks and took out the 427 and put it in the chevelle. None were assembly line like the later C O P O ,S. Alex
That car OPG restored. It even won Sema.
427 copo...

Just watched again, states rare option...

So who's correct?

· Premium Member
16,172 Posts
Yah I can confirm that car is a 427 factory 66 Chevelle. That was my old neighbors car. I remember the day he got it. If I recall correctly Houdini delivered it.You’ll never guess what was found in the trunk. It was Jimmy Hoffa.
AAWWW C'MON Brad.....wasn't Jimmy Hoffa's body dug up????

· Premium Member
10,449 Posts
That was good because in 66 Houdini was dead and Hoffa was alive.....
so maybe Houdini's body was in the trunk and Hoffa was the one driving,making sure he punched in as a good union worker would and since he was outside the factory making sure to get his hazard duty pay too !!! after that he made sure to deliver that SS427 Chevelle

• Haha
Reactions: Jebchevelle
1 - 20 of 150 Posts