1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
The ones I've seen did not use cables, but a key. They were considered dealer-installed from what I can tell. They are featured in the '72 Camaro brochure as a dealer-installed option, and I have a '75 accessories brochure that shows them. Are they rare? I don't know, has anyone ever seen them?

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

Is there any reason you can think of that these wouldn't work on other years? I can't think of any, but you never know...

Kurt

·
Registered
321 Posts
Kurt,

FWIW, I purchased a set of Mr Gasket hood locks for my 70 SS396.

I live in Jersey City, NJ one of the HIGHEST car theft areas in the country (according to my insurance agent.)

The car is normally parked out of site in a garage, but what happens when I want to take it somewhere? With hood pins it is very easy for an unscrupulous individual to pull the pins and pop the hood. If fact, it happened one night and they walked off with my cowl induction air cleaner, DH Gold900 battery, and master cylinder cover (I said they were unscrupulous, not bright.) Can you believe I stayed up all night watching vigil over the car after I found out?

The hood locks make me feel a lot more secure and they are easier than the cable lock I had been using in the mean time. When I park in an open area I open the hood and pull the coil to distrib. wire off, effectively killing the ignition system. (I also fiddle with my nuetral safety switch to kill the starter and use a Club on my steering wheel.) With the hood locked I have a small amount of peace of mind.

The installation was pretty easy. The locks and posts replaced my hood pins with zero extra effort, though tightening the nuts which secure the locks to the hood was a royal pain. If you want GM than go GM. There is an alternative out there that I'm pretty pleased with.

[This message has been edited by michael j (edited 05-13-99).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.