Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just replaced my speedometer, also got my high beam indicator working...but the speedo cable won't lock on (replacement was a 71 factory unit exactly like the one i took out!)

tried to clean the tach but apparently did too good...now it tries to sit at 1200 when the car's off

replaced the temp resistor and it still reads at being over 210 which I highly doubt since it's a smallblock with a big block radiator (bad sending unit?)

I should have shelled out $600 for dakota digital or better yet some Autometers and chunked this factory stuff on ebay...

·
Registered
460 Posts
thunderstruck507, if you can figure how to make you temp gauge work correctly please let me know I have trid everything without any success? thanks, Marty

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will do...I'm about to give up on it and just watch for it moving to know something's wrong...right now I'm more worried about tach and speedo since I'm going back to college this weekend 4 hours away!

I gotta have one or the other working properly

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't figure out why the tach wants to float at 1200? Its NOT stuck, when it was out you could turn the tach and the needle would move there, now it only goes to a lil past 3000 when I'm full throttle and car is shifting at at least 4300

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I recently purchased a new gauge set and was unclear why only the temp gague needed a resistor and why the one from your old large gas gauge. I have tested many original gauges and they all seemed to follow 270ohm sensor to ground = 100deg, 77ohm sensor to ground = 210deg and 50ohm sensor to ground = 250deg. The new gauges came with a temp sensor and I don't know if the resistance to temp ratio is the same as an original temp sensor. I do know that I tested the aftermarket gauge with no resistor on the gauge and with resitors as above on the sensor terminal to ground it read the same. With all the problems you are having it would be a good idea to remove the cluster and bench test it. The tach has a very sensitive needle movement and it doesn't take much to mess them up. Any tiny metal praticle that comes close to the movement will be pulled in by the large center magnet and mess it up. You said you cleaned it?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Thunder,

Sorry this doesn't help you, but where are you going to college? In OK? I'm going to OU...just curious about you. What class are you (freshman, sophomore?).

Don't know where Valliant is so not really sure of any colleges that would be 4 hours away from ya

just curious

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was gonna go to OU but for some stupid reasons along with more free money I landed in Univ of Arkansas. I really like it though and it's kinda different there. Town is pretty small but has so much stuff it feels big...perfect start since my hometown consists of 4 gas stations, a cafe, and a dollar store :D

The tach acted like it was catching on something so my dad suggested powedered graphite, but I didnt thnk that would be a good idea with the magnet and all so I sprayed just a tiny bit of WD40 on the moving parts

I got the speedo working and we're gonna try a dif temp sending unit and see if that brings it down. These are factory original gauges BTW not repos

1 - 8 of 8 Posts