Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to put together some additional information for the "alternator conversion" technical reference page and it dawned on me that I have no idea when the factory went from having ammeters to voltmeters.

I know that the early (60's) cars had an ammeter that read across a shunt near the horn relay.

The 79 Pontiac that I have has a Voltmeter.

So, when was the change over made??

------------------
Wes. Vann
Technical Reference section
Gold Member #5

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
Wes, I have a question on your alternator conversion(Delco CS). I did the conversion on my 72 Elcamino exactly as you described but I've wondered about the gen light. I wired it as per your instructions because you said the alternator would not function correctly otherwise, so, what happens if the bulb burns out? would the alternator malfunction? I have since reviewed your instructions and saw that I overlooked the part about CS alt. could be non resistor or resistor and the resistor type is to be used if retaining the idiot light. Is there a way to tell the difference? I must have lucked up and picked the right one because the idiot light works correctly.
This conversion has worked fine for me. After driving it for a while with no problems I went to a larger alt. pulley because of a belt slinging problem and even though the output is low at idle it quickly picks up and even in down town traffic with the ac running the battery stays up.

Thanks!

------------------
BEST WISHES FOR THE NEW YEAR!!!!

work in progress
Big James Elky(AKA Ol Paint)
another shot of Ol Paint

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Big James,

Not sure on later units, but if you have STOCK charging system and the "GEN" bulb burns out, you'll have trouble. This lamp provides a "2 way street" of communications between the voltage regulator and the car's electrical. The filament is used as a "bridge" to carry info, telling the voltage regulator how much voltage is present inside the vehicle's + supply wires and if there is a problem with that.

Just a little FYI

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
WES,

My schematics show 1976 was the first model year with a Voltmeter. It was apart of the "more high tech" cluster that also contained a temperature guage. However, based on how they are layed out, I'm will to say 1975 was the first year for a Voltmeter

Now, that's not for sure though, just going by what I see.

Joe

[This message has been edited by Coppertop (edited 12-26-2000).]

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all.

Big James; the electricity that flows through the indicator bulb is what energizes the alternator and if the car had idiot lights to begin with, if the bulb burned out, the alternator would not work.

I'll have to go in and check the wording, but there isn't a "resistance" or "non-resistance" alternator. That comment has to deal with the wiring loom within the car.

------------------
Wes. Vann
Technical Reference section
Gold Member #5

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
Thanks for the replies! I am running a voltmeter in addition to the idiot light so I should have things covered.
By the way I may have misread the thing about resistance because I printed out this procedure for reference and the page ended in mid sentence and the resistor part was on the next page. Confusion on my part.

------------------
BEST WISHES FOR THE NEW YEAR!!!!

work in progress
Big James Elky(AKA Ol Paint)
another shot of Ol Paint

[This message has been edited by Big James 4XL (edited 12-26-2000).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts