Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to order a few odds and ends from year one and figure while I was at it it would be nice to find a book that showed how things originally looked. Am I looking for a facotry assembly manual, or some sort or restoration guide, or what might it be called?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
The Factory Assembly Instruction Manual is one of the best investments that you can make if you plan to do any restoration work and you want to get it like the General built it. If nothing else, it'll show you how something is supposed to go together - not how the last guy who owned it did it.

·
Premium Member
19,751 Posts
The Factory Assembly Instruction Manual is one of the best investments that you can make if you plan to do any restoration work and you want to get it like the General built it. If nothing else, it'll show you how something is supposed to go together - not how the last guy who owned it did it.
Or how the guy on the assembly line did it. :D Factory AIMS are great reference material if one remembers that many changes were made in part numbers (and not all possibilities are listed), the AIM is a snapshot in time, and - maybe most important but seldom mentioned - it doesn't cover what Fisher Body did, only what the final assembly line had responsibility for. Example, there are measurements for front fender emblem placement but none for rear quarters, trunk, cove, etc. as those were installed at Fisher Body. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
19,751 Posts
Detroit Iron CDs are good products but don't include the AIM. The parts catalog is pretty good but remember this is the same parts catalog used by counter people in paper format - the Chevrolet ones are normally dated 71 or 72 and have replacment part numbers available at the time. An understanding of how GM grouped parts and named parts is also invaluable when using the parts book. Still a good CD to have in the collection. :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts