Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading some other posts about COPO cars, I was wondering if anybody has information about 427s installed in Chevelles from the factory. Some people say Factory never installed 427s, but I have heard others say they did put some 427s in '66 Chevelles. I remember reading about a '66 wagon with a factory 427. The owner was also a manager at the assembly plant, or something like that. Every once in a while I see a Chevelle for sale that supposedly has an original 427.
Does anyone have more info?

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
According to the Chevy Parts catalog the 427 was not a regular production option engine in the 66 Chevelle. The manager of the assembly plant could build anything, he had the resources to do it. Back in those days they often had one of a kind cars that were not production items, more for show to what they could build if they were allowed to. I find Chevy no info thats suggests the Chevelle's had a 427 as an option. I too have seen a '67 SS427 Chevelle for sale some years ago on a used car lot but the engine codes did not confirm it was the original engine for the Chevelle!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
No Dice. I am the proud owner of a converted 67SS396. The only way it could've happened is, like in my car's case, the owner blew the original 396 and had the dealer install, or procure, a 427. Could've actually been an L88 in '67, not '66. My car actually sat for 10 years with a blown motor! Or you could've had the dealer install a 427 in a brand new vehicle, but not as likely in 66, than in '67 and later years. And not all would have oblidged.

The Chevy employee you speak of could've easily pulled it off. For most of us civilians, it would've meant putting up 50% of the car's sticker price, or more, to have Mr. Goodwrench do it up. And that's assuming the dealer was amenable to the idea.

No, not original, but an excellent choice of mill. I elected to put a original looking L88 mill in my '67, with a real L88 bottom end and 1st gen heads.

Like to think someone had the scratch or connections to pull it off, but.....

P.S. Check out, using the search, SS427, under the username Skip Cain, and see what you come up with.

Gene Chaas
Gold Member 62
67SS396/427

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 10-15-99).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.