Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the round style. 2 lugs for battery cable, and I and S terminals on the side. Are they grounded out through the body, or through the I or S terminal?

Going to use it to fix my hot start problem.

Just curious, will this handle constant curent, say 50 amps? I know some will round selenoids will and others won't.

Thanks
Steve

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
I used one from a Ford Super duty pickup of some kind.

It used the body as a ground. I titied a jumper one from the body mounting screw over to a known good ground.

They can hold some serious current. Just the latching mechanism itself pulls 2Amps. So it may be wise to use a thicker gauge ignition-starter wire if you plan on doing some long term cranking of the starter.

------------------
71' 3880# with me. Big Block 402, Merlin oval heads, 10.2:1CR, TH400, 3.73 posi,
1/8th: 8.0 @ 88mph
BEST 60': 1.85 w/street tires.
BEST 1/4: 12.5 with 1.89 sixty foot (street tires)
BEST MPH: 109mph

Picture of me roasting the tires and other guy stuff
Video of me staging (smoke of course)

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Mine is frame grounded. I couldn't tell you which application it's from. I just told the parts girl that I needed a Ford solenoid for my Chevy. She said "Headers, huh?" and pulled one from the shelf. I've been loyal to her ever since.

------------------
My Web Page (updated 3-19-02)

"America will endure!"

Chad Landry
TC Member #643
ACES Member #04556
'68 El Camino, 357, L31 Vortec heads, 700R4, 3.55 posi.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am pretty sure the ignition switch wire goes to the S terminal. Just have to play around with the ground.

I was wondering about its continuous duty rating because it could be a good alternative for 2 relays when wireing in the Mark VIII or Windstar fans. I picked mine up for $12 CDN, and there avalible anywhere. Just a thought.

Later
Steve

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wanarace:
I was wondering about its continuous duty rating because it could be a good alternative for 2 relays when wireing in the Mark VIII or Windstar fans. I picked mine up for $12 CDN, and there avalible anywhere. Just a thought.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Had the same though. I melted a solenoid trying to use it to drive my Mark VIII fan. Bad idea.

------------------
71' 3880# with me. Big Block 402, Merlin oval heads, 10.2:1CR, TH400, 3.73 posi,
1/8th: 8.0 @ 88mph
BEST 60': 1.85 w/street tires.
BEST 1/4: 12.5 with 1.89 sixty foot (street tires)
BEST MPH: 109mph

Picture of me roasting the tires and other guy stuff
Video of me staging (smoke of course)

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Yes, they are almost always grounded through the mounting base.

You can get a continuous duty solenoid. Look for something like a winch or RV solenoid.

Chad, I'm sure you're loyal to the parts girl because she picked the soleniod for you
I can't believe BB Mike missed his chance at that

You could use a 30A Bosch style relay to fix your starting problems. It would mount behind the engine on the firewall much nicer than the Ford solenoid would.

Peter

[This message has been edited by Peter F. (edited 04-14-2002).]

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Peter F. - Actually that's what I am running right now, and it works fine. But if I use the Solenoid, I am going to mount it right next to the battery, so I will only have a foot of live wire. Just incase something ever happens.

Thanks guys
Later
Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.