Chevelles.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some extra unused wires under my hood and I need to know if I need them or can I cut them?

There are two small green wires that run along the driver side fender well....one of them has a white stripe on it...one of them (I can't remember which) was alive when the ignition switch was "on"....what do these two wires go to?

Also on the radiator support next to the old voltage regulator sits....well I'm not sure what it is but it has two large red wires that run to it....what is this and is it needed?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:
Also on the radiator support next to the old voltage regulator sits....well I'm not sure what it is but it has two large red wires that run to it....what is this and is it needed?
Sounds like the horn relay. The red wires are needed to tie the battery to the fuseblock.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does the old voltage regulator come off the same circuit? It's no longer needed and just sitting there.

Also there's a bigger wire that used to run to the A/C unit and it's laying in there too.

Anyone know what the smaller green wires previously mentioned were for?

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
I believe the wires are for the temp switch the green is for the TEMP light/gauge and green/white is part of the TCS circuit.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Assuming this is on your 71 Chevelle. There are several wires associated with the TCS circuit. The power to the TCS relay is a black with a dark blue stripe, so they say, and a pink stripe. It also has a dark blue wire that goes to the solenoid, and a dark green wire that connects to a dark green with white stripe wire, that is part of the forward lamp harness, that wire connects to the temp switch. I think this is the wire you asked about. The dkgreen/white in the forward lamp harness is only on cars that were equipped with the temp warning light. If the car came from the factory with gauges, the green wire from the TCS relay will connect to the temp switch on the right side of the engine. Back to the TCS solenoid, it also has a black wire that connects to the trans switch.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I still have 4 mysterious wires, one tan wire, one blue, one green and one brown. All but the green show hot when the ign. is in the run position. This according to my circuit tester.

The green/white wire was connected to a plug with a wire that was connected to nothing.

What color is the oil pressure switch wire? I'm thinking one of them is gotta be it.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
There is a tan wire that attaches to the brake dist. block for the brake warning light.

The oil pressure switch is a dark blue wire.

The only brown wires under the hood is for the marker/park lights. That is unless you have a factory tach, if so there is a brown wire that connects to the - terminal of the coil.

The only dark green wires are for either the temp switch, in the forward lamp harness, or the TCS relay, in engine harness.

Just for information, there are two harnessed under the hood. The forward lamp harness covers the temp switch, head lights, park - side marker - signal lights, the voltage regulator, the horn relay and the alternator. The engine harness covers the coil, starter, wipers, TCS - idle stop, oil press, brake warning light switch and heater blower on heat only cars.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right I am aware of the tan e-brake wire which is still connected.

Looking at the fuse block from under the hood (and seeing how it's split up into two halves) the tan, blue and brown wire come out on the side that's closest to the engine. The green comes out on the side that's closest to the drivers side fender.

What's wierd is that on the blue wire (if indeed for the oil press dummy light) the circuit tester lit up but yet no dummy lights on the dash came on.

I used this similar method on an old Nova I once had and determined two of the dummy light wires. By touching them with the circuit tester I basicly created a path of ground for the bulb for the dummy light and the bulb in the circuit tester would glow also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts