Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got my kit to convert my internally regulated alternator to an externally regulated one. While I was at it I decided to change the old 2 prong plug that was sorely beaten up, you can see it here..

Here's my question. When I removed the old plug I made sure to attach my new plug in the same orientation. The plug wires that were on there didn't match the colors of the wire harness but the new one actually does. Here's where it gets interesting...if I hook up the new plug the same way the old one was hooked up the wires end up being switched (blue to black and black to blue)...so the question is do I hook it up matching the colors or just keep it the way the old one was set up? I'm an electrical novice so any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

--rO

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Sorry, not sure if I read this right. You are going back and adding the external regulator?

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
EDIT - Just reread your post. If you are installing a CS style connector, this probably won't work, they have a different style plug. Post pic of the wiring adapter you have, may be able to change wires on the wiring harness end.

Its easy to swap the wires in the connector in your picture (or a similar connector). The contact is held in place by a small tab that you can see in the raised portion of the opening. From the open end, gently push the tab down with a small screwdriver or something similar. At the same time pull the wire out the back side. Then insert the wires in the opposite opening. Once you push it all the way in, pull on the wire to make sure that it is secure. Make the wiring colors match, its not hard at all.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
As you look at your picture, "F" is on the left hand side. "F" is the outside wire on the old tegulator connector. "F" is normally blue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts