Team Chevelle banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I have the stock original 66 62 amp alt inn my car with an extrnal regualtor all new wiring ............ground straps etcet5c but I keep blowing the reg I have had the points type and the electronic type .....dont tell me to switch to the newer style alt......... when it works iot works great chaging is controlled well but a couple of times a year I get in and start the car and the volt guage shows discharge ...change reg and its fine again for a month or two ?? I do have kill switch on cat htat when parked I shut off all the power

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
You might take a VOM and check the resistance from the case of the regulator to the alternator (they should be at or near the same potential). I had to remove some bolts and shine up the metal on the radiator surround on my '69 to get it reliable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The regulator turns the field coil on and off, if the resistance of the field coil is too low because a few of the winding have shorted it will cause the current to go up. The regulator was designed to handle a given load say 3 amps, if the regulator now has to handle 5 amps it will fail over and over until you fix the actual problem; a bad rotor.
Have either a local alternator shop check it or look up the specs and then check it with an ohmeter.

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys .........some good points here I never checked

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.