Team Chevelle banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ford suggests not using climate control during the winter in their lightning EV for heat due to mileage loss.

The preferred method is steering wheel and seat heat 馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ

$70k and they suggest NO HEAT!

Passengers might want to bring hand warmers.

Registered
Didn鈥檛 know any fords had working heat.

Premium Member
What I find comical is the fact that these engineer clowns can鈥檛 figure out how to make these dumbass things recharge themselves with a generator. Kinda like 64-older cars did. Seems like it should be fairly easy to adapt a charging device to a wheel hub or CV shaft.

Premium Member
What I find comical is the fact that these engineer clowns can鈥檛 figure out how to make these dumbass things recharge themselves with a generator. Kinda like 64-older cars did. Seems like it should be fairly easy to adapt a charging device to a wheel hub or CV shaft.
It would create way too much drag to get the generators to do this.
This would be akin to perpetual motion.

Premium Member
I think someone does this through the breaking system. Not sure if it was just concept or made it to production. Probably not worth it.
Yes, they are doing it thru the braking system. The battery power has already been expelled to push the car forward. I think it's some kind of generator. Slowing down rotation is free energy.

But, hey, don't use it to keep warm in a Ford, ha....

Premium Member
How about a good, long fart?

Fiery Fart Hot Sauce | TryMyNuts.com

• Haha
Reactions: 123pugsy

Registered
They did a test where they pulled a trailer up a mountain and were figuring that the regenerative braking would charge it on the way down. Nope, it gained like 1% ir 1mile range or something like that.

Registered
1969 Grand Prix. 455 TH400 12 bolt.
Those Broncos are already as "at least one at every stoplight" around here, like camarochallengermustangs. (I lumped those because thats what those are, visually)

What might help the SUV junk to go farther is to be less like pushing a brick wall. Suddenly aerodynamics are a non-issue? Because everyone wants to sit in the electric high chair? Why can't gas powered stuff have barn-flat front ends while electric can? How many Bronco owners have actually even left the asphalt and needed a couple feet of ground clearance?

IMO we went past hybrids too quick. They were a poorly planned mess but had a great deal of potential.

And I still like the gasoline powered underdash heater idea for EVs.:D There are modern versions, they just call them parking heaters.

Kidding, sort of. Propane is a thing. I'd bet that some EV owners are blindsided by cold weather disadvantages. Physics has always been a worthy adversary.

Premium Member
Those Broncos are already as "at least one at every stoplight" around here, like camarochallengermustangs. (I lumped those because thats what those are, visually)

What might help the SUV junk to go farther is to be less like pushing a brick wall. Suddenly aerodynamics are a non-issue? Because everyone wants to sit in the electric high chair? Why can't gas powered stuff have barn-flat front ends while electric can? How many Bronco owners have actually even left the asphalt and needed a couple feet of ground clearance?

IMO we went past hybrids too quick. They were a poorly planned mess but had a great deal of potential.

And I still like the gasoline powered underdash heater idea for EVs.:D There are modern versions, they just call them parking heaters.

Kidding, sort of. Propane is a thing. I'd bet that some EV owners are blindsided by cold weather disadvantages. Physics has always been a worthy adversary.

Useless up here in the cold winters, for sure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts