Team Chevelle banner

Export VIN number..

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Jerra 
#1 ·
Hi!
I have this 67 4-door , that was exported to Finland, is it possible to read the VIN Tag and know when and where it was built?
I saw in a earlier post that it was exported like 705 Chevelle Malibu's 4-door. Is it possible to figure out from the VIN number what production number i have?

See less See more
#2 ·
That is a picture of the "Fisher Body Tag" but a better picture will be needed to decode it.

The VIN is on a plate under the driver's side lower corner of the windshield. Its a long narrow plate.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

#4 ·
The VIN is on a plate under the driver's side lower corner of the windshield. Its a long narrow plate.
Not on a 67. The VIN tag is in the front driver's door jamb, about half way between the upper and lower door hinges.

With FINLAND on the bottom of he trim tag, could this be one of those that was partially assembled and shipped overseas as a kit, then put together in Finland??

#3 · (Edited)
Welcome to Team Chevelle
I can see a few things on the tag
Your car is a Canadian built export car
The top line 13569 Malibu 6 cyl 4dr sedan
EXLD, I believe is Export LH drive
Time code 2-10-13, second shift October 13th
OS is the plant Oshawa, Ontario followed by the body number
The body tag decoding can be found in chevellestuff.net
Also please visit vintagevehicleservices.com they offer a service to document Canadian built cars, they may be able to help with exports.

#7 ·
Ok, thanx
I have a look.

Well, i have a little special connection to the car, my father bougt it in -77 and we had it for our daily driver until -90 about, repainted -87 and renovated. My father also change te engine to a 350 and aTh350.
I got my hands on the car in 1999, then it been of the road for a couple of years. i sold it 2006 to a local guy, that never did anything to it.. i bought it back in 2019, and put it on the road again..
I fun part was, i dindn´t do anything to the car before i took it out on the road, and everything worked like a charm, well changed the oil and stuff of course. Brakes and all the elctric worked fine, after sitting for 20 years:).
Paint still from -87, new wheels, but that´s it..

Attachments

#9 ·
I'd get paperwork from Vintage Vehicle Services on it. Over the years they have identified Chevelles as (1) "Number Produced For Sale In Canada" and (2) "Number Produced for U.S. Sale In Canada," (3) "Number Produced In Canada 114" and noted "(10 for export sale), and another listed as (4) "Number Produced for Export Sale in Canada." The dealer, according to the VVS document is "G.M. Overseas Export Sales." Nothing special noted on the trim tag as to the destination.

I have a 1965 L6 Malibu SS in my SS Registry currently in The Netherlands, Nothing special on the trim tag.

Also in my SS Registry is a 1965 V8 Malibu SS convertible shipped to G.M. Overseas Export Sales and noted "40 - for Left Hand Drive export sale. Nothing special on the Oshawa trim tag but there is a second trim tag from GENERAL MOTORS SUISSE S.A. BIENNE where, apparently, the car was imported to Switzerland for registration in Europe.

A popular production number for 1967 13569 Chevelles is 706 built in Canada for export. Whether this number is for export to the U.S. or export in general isn't known, Vintage Vehicle Services would possibly list the number for export to G.M. Sales Overseas but most likely would not have data on which country it would have been shipped to.

Nice piece of family history.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.