Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
1964 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu 4 door
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, going to try something new and will report back, just setting myself up for failure by posting on here before I start like an idiot.

Right now my car has Moog 6200 front coil springs.

They're 17.99" free height, 11" installed, 3.62" inner diameter, and have 290lbs/in rating.

They're factory ride, very comfortable, car glides going down the road, and the front end bows up like a ship hitting a wave when you downshift and kick it. I love the ride, it's great for cruising and honestly have not wanted to mess with the setup. Unfortunately I've beat on them and they're sagging a little, I've noticed the front getting lower and the exhaust rubbing when going over speed bumps.

I've been wanting a little more spring as when I have a lot of friends in the car it will bottom out. I don't want to go with kidney beaters, dumptruck springs, or turn the car full race, so I got to looking around.

Using this site: Moog Coil Springs | Moog Suspension Parts

I looked for springs that had similar specs as the springs above (typed 3.6 for inner diameter and compared the selection). I ordered a set of Moog 6033 springs. 1959 Belair springs..

They're 16.44" free height, 11" installed, 3.67" inner diameter, and have 370lbs/in rating.

I did cut the 6200 springs to lower the car some, going to install the 6033 springs as is and see where it sets the car. This won't be a 1:1 swap for anyone looking for a bolt in replacement. I do plan on having to mess w/ the spring height to dial the stance of the car in, just wanted to get this info out there in case anyone was wondering if there was something else out there besides high dollar aftermarket. I paid $100 shipped.

Welcoming opinions/advice/criticism, hoping this will result in a good setup for future use.

Reactions: mark f

Registered
Hi Jeff,

I'll give you my opinion. I've got a 2 door '68 chevelle. I bought and installed 2 inch lowering spindles about a year back, and the thing was just WAY too low with my existing springs. I was scared about buying/experimenting with a bunch of different Moog springs and not being happy with them. Also, I don't enjoy compressing and swapping out springs on these cars - always makes me nervous. I ended up going with QA1 coil overs for the front and couldn't be happier. You simply dial in any height you want, and they dampers are also adjustable. If/when these springs sag a little, I'll just adjust the coilovers again and will get the ride height I want.
I hope your 6033 springs get you the look you want! I've enjoyed reading your posts about your car.

Dave

Registered
1964 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu 4 door
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Jeff,

I'll give you my opinion. I've got a 2 door '68 chevelle. I bought and installed 2 inch lowering spindles about a year back, and the thing was just WAY too low with my existing springs. I was scared about buying/experimenting with a bunch of different Moog springs and not being happy with them. Also, I don't enjoy compressing and swapping out springs on these cars - always makes me nervous. I ended up going with QA1 coil overs for the front and couldn't be happier. You simply dial in any height you want, and they dampers are also adjustable. If/when these springs sag a little, I'll just adjust the coilovers again and will get the ride height I want.
I hope your 6033 springs get you the look you want! I've enjoyed reading your posts about your car.

Dave
Thank you for the kind words and I completely understand what coil overs would do for me. My lower arms will accept them, just the wife and car fund won't. 馃槄 I can sneak a hundred here or there when she isn't looking. I don't have a lot of time or money, but have more time than money, so that's how the budget works.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts