Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, i am just considering several transmissions right now, and am considering a Tremec 5 speed. I really like the idea of overdrive, and i am not worrying about an original look for the tranny. Does anyone here have any experience with installing and or driving these transmissions. Any comments good/bad? Thanks again!

·
Registered
714 Posts
No personal experience but my buddy installed one in his 67 RS/SS Camaro and he loved it once he got it in. He drag raced the car all last summer and the tranny held up really good. As I recall the shifter position ended up a little further back. First gear is almost like a creeper gear so initially until he got used to the tranny he was launching in 2nd gear but once he got used to it he was launching in first. He said that when he launches in first you have to be ready to shift right now.

If looking for more information about the swap and any other modifications he had to make for the Camaro swap, I could give him a heads up and give you his e-mail address and you could contact him directly.

Mytmouse

------------------
67 SS396 350HP 4 sp 3:55 Posi Butternut Yellow w/Black Vinyl
68 RS Z/28 302 350+Hp? 4sp 4:10 Posi, Euro Red on Black
70 SS396 350HP 4 sp 3:55 Posi, Black on Black

Mytmouse A.K.A. Robert Stacho
ACES Member # 04359

·
Registered
287 Posts
I personally have no experience but when I raced my 5.0 a lot of the Ford guys broke them when they put slicks on. The main thing I recall is that they are great for the street and street tires but not a car with power and slicks. Also the Velles are much heavier than a 5.0. I pass this along for whatever its worth.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Jimi - Try doing a search for this topic on the camaros.net tech forum. There was a few recent posts with experiences with this tranny. I saw nothing but good things about them...

------------------
1969 Caprice (It's not an Impala darnit!)
427/M-20 Finally!
12-bolt 4.10 Posi
13.45 @ 105

1966 Caprice
396/325 TH-400
15.38 @ 97.4

Andy and Nick's Muscle Car Half-way House

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.