Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much flack will I get if I buy a dual exhaust kit from JEGS/SUMMIT (or someone else), and then take it to the muffler shop for installation & new hangers, etc - versus buying the whole lash up from the muffler shop?

I haven't ask the local guy yet... I'm wondering if I'll get my head handed to me when I do?

------------------
>>>Rod<<<
A.C.E.S. # 2894
Team Chevelle #115

·
Super Moderator
12,779 Posts
Rod,
Hate to be this way, but would you go buy a steak at the grocery and take it to the Steakhouse and ask them to cook it for you ? Just one of my pet peeves, I no longer will install any customers parts in a motor unless it is some kind of crazy antique and we just cant find the parts. We cannot survive by doing labor only, have to make some money on the parts.
Now on the other hand, if he cannot sell you the Flowmaster System himself, might be a different story, but it still makes for hard feelings if there are any problems later down the road. Part of the profit that any business makes goes towards warranty repairs, and if he does not make much on the job, he will not feel as good about fixing it later.
PLEASE don't hate me for this post, it's just that the mail order places are killing the performance industry.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

[This message has been edited by BillK (edited 06-12-99).]

·
Registered
31 Posts
When I purchased my Flowmaster pipes and DynoMax mufflers from Summit for my 1972 Chevelle, I took them to a local franchise muffler shop here in San Diego and had them installed with no problems at all. The muffler shop sells the same pipes and mufflers but for a lot more money then what I got them for from Summit. The shop didn’t mind at all that I brought my own stuff to get installed, the fact is they even told me that I made a good choice in picking the Flowmasters pipes and DynoMax mufflers. They charged me $150.00 to get the pipes and mufflers installed and took around two hours to get the job done. I guess it really depends on where you go to get them installed on how they will react. Good Luck.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I bought Flowmaster 3 chamber muffs and took them to local shop and had rest of the exhuast put on. No problem. Sounds alot better than there turbo muffs to. Glad I went with Flowmasters....

·
Registered
124 Posts
i work in a shop that does ehaust,we make our money either on the mufflers or the labor.if you bring your own we raise the price of installation to cover what we would make on the mufflers.so we are makin the same one way of the other.
troy

·
Registered
738 Posts
I would call some shops and find out what their labor rate is whether or not you bring in the pipes/mufflers. If they jack up the cost just because you brought your own hardware, keep looking until you find one that will work with you. There are many shops out there that are willing to help you meet your exhaust goal.

------------------
70' Malibu - 383 Stroker that loves Dental Gas! Chevellz Alwayz!

W

·
0 Posts
What does one of the Flowmaster systems cost for the chevelles? I saw a couple of post about that a while back, and $300 sticks in my head for some reason, it that close?

Wally
Gold #67

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wally,

I purchased a set of Flowmaster pipes (Part # FLO-17107) from summit for my current 67 Chevelle project around 6 months ago for $198.95. This included 2.5, cross over and straight and turn down pipes at the rear. I also purchased the DynoMax super turbo mufflers (part # 17734) for $30.95 each.

The price you mention for the Flowmaster system may include the 3-chamber mufflers, but I don’t see that offered as one complete package. The Flowmaster mufflers must be purchased separately from the part number that I mentioned above. I believe the Summit catalog states that Flowmaster recommends their FLO-42553 (3-Chamber $62.95 each) for moderate horsepower vehicles and FLO-52553 (don’t know the chamber size or price) for higher horsepower applications.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
336 Posts
How do you guys like the dynomax mufflers? How do they sound compared to flowmasters?

I was at a friends house last nite who had a hot rodding mag and they did some tests with diff mufflers and dynomax's were had some of the best ratings (compared to both sets of flowmasters they tried) in both 1/4 mile ET, low sound level, and... something else...

mike

W

·
0 Posts
The reason I asked the question was I had a complete system built for my son's 71 350 car, from the headers back to the bumper, in aluminized 2 1/4 pipe, welded with the Flowmaster mufflers for $300.

·
Gold Founding Member
3,081 Posts
Got curious looked up by exhaust system bill. In 11/95 I paid $259.35 for 2.25 aluminized pipe from manifold to rear, Dynomax mufflers, heat riser($35) and chrome turn down tips, included 5% sales tax. Even with inflation I don't think it would top $300 today. I usually try and use local independent shops for that sort of stuff. I'm an independent business owner myself and I feel it creates good will that can be used in the future when you need repairs or something special fabricated.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I've called a few shops in my area and most can't do a 3" and the one that could wanted $600. I told him stainless wasn't necessary. "Oh no, that's aluminized pipe." I wonder what kind of pipe he's smokin' out of. $600 bucks. You end up doing things yourself because you run into "$600" or hack work. I hate doing exhausts and I wish I could find a shop to do it. Wally I'm moving to MD that's it!

I did have the manager at a MIDAS shop say he'd install my kit for $80-120, or about two hours of labor. I might have it done becasue I want the balance tube welded in. He seemed pretty cool about it.

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 06-14-99).]

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I recently had aluminized 2" duals installed on my 1972 El Camino. I went to a local exhuast man and he custom bent the headpipes and bought the tail pipes. The mufflers I choose are pretty much identical to the Flowmaster 2 chambers, and they are aluminized and double wrapped. They were $60 apiece and sound great. My whole bill was $270
The mufflers were $120 and I had him weld the tail pipe hangers to the pipe and weld a braket to the frame. He did a great job, and I couldn't even buy a kit and do this good of job. So I guess what i'm trying to say is that the local guy might be your best bet.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Just a month ago I had my '69 Chevelle converted from the single to dual exhaust. It was $350 out the door. 2-1/4" custom bent aluminized pipe with crossover from the manifolds to the rear bumper and 2-baffle Flow Masters. The welds were so neat and clean! It all sounded great but what a difference when the 2B Rochester and stock manifold was replaced with the Holly 4B and an LT1 manifold! WOW! It was done at NE Exhaust in PA.

Bob

·
Lifetime Founding Member
767 Posts
Gene,

Regarding your request for three inch pipes,
There is a company in Georgia called Torque Tech, They make a 3" system for the "A" body along with several other body styles. The pipes are mandrel bent, and they have several different muffler brands available as well.
The system is pricey, but it is by far the best designed system I have seen yet(in 3").
The fit is excellent, the pipes are aluminized. They did have some problems in the shipping dept, but I think they have that all cleared up these days.
If you have something that needs to breathe, this might be what you are looking for.
They have an ad in Super Chevy Magazine, and Chevy high performance mag also.
Good Luck,
Sean

·
Lifetime Founding Member
767 Posts
Bill,

Your post is very considerate, and I don't think anyone will "hate" you for your input!!

Here is the part that "irks" me about the local vendor verses the hi-perf mail order.

At the local shop down the street I purchased some parts only to find them MUCH cheaper in a J*gs magazine. Irritated and feeling ripped off, I returned to the store with magazine in hand and showed the guy at the counter. He told me that from now on anything I purchased at the store I can get at the magazine price AS LONG AS I BRING THE MAGAZINE IN WITH ME.
Now, two questions come to mind;
1:If he can afford to sell at these magazine prices why was his mark up so insanely high.

2: What about the poor guy who doesn't read the J*gs magazine???

It seems that the local shops are actually part of the Mail order magazine growth by pricing the parts way above the mag prices. If I didn't bring this magazine in and complain, I may have just bought all the rest of my parts by mail order, not even knowing he would meet the prices. I don't think many of his customers know this, and I am CERTAIN this is costing him business.

Respectfully,
Sean

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.