Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
armed with my new exhuast system, new parts from NAPA (thanks guys) and a lot of hand cleaner, I'm ready to bolt the sucker on. question is, is there any good references for the layout, or should I just start piecing the puzzle together? I have separate pipes for reducer, collector extension, into the muffler, out of the muffler, and tailpipe.
(ugh, i just talked to the very helpful guy at ground up, he mentioned the 'flattened' part where the crossmember is located.
my pipes are not flatten. am i screwed?)

[This message has been edited by gkopeck (edited 04-07-99).]

·
Registered
166 Posts
nah, you're not screwed, there is a lot of room down there. i had the 2.5" flowmaster kit, the pipes were not flattened and they fit fine. better of with unflattened pipes anyway, less flow restriction. as for a plan of attack, the directions that came with my flows said to put the tailpipes in (it helps a lot if you have the car supported by the frame and the rear end is hanging), then attatch the tailpipes and mufflers to the rear hangers, then due the engine pipes. worked fine for me. good luck.

------------------
Ian McDermott
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Columbia University
New York, NY.
E-mail: [email protected]
Web page: chevelle.dhs.org
ICQ UIN: 3923441

·
Registered
368 Posts
gkopeck
A couple of thoughts.
- Be prepared to take a lot of time fitting parts (it took me several trys to get 3 chamber Flowmasters into my '69 Elky)
- Take a look at the Factory Assembly Manual to bet a general idea how the parts go together and what critical clearances are.(see N10 option and UPC 8 A1-A10)
- Don't cut pipes or clamp tightly until you're sure that you've got a good fit.
- When working with the rear axle hanging down, it's easy to position the pipe kick-up over the axle so that it hits the axle tube on bumps. Check twice, cut/clamp once.

------------------
Fred Aldrich
Web Site: www.GeoCities.com/~69_chevelle

[This message has been edited by Fred Aldrich (edited 04-07-99).]

·
Premium Member
9,796 Posts
another tip to go along with Fred's advice: when trying out things , use duct tape at the joints to hold it in place until you are satisfied with the fit. It is easy to undo duct tape more so than a clamped-tight pipe.

·
Registered
32 Posts
One more tip (based on my experience):

Don't assume you can measure one side and then cut pipe for both sides. My hedders required different lenghts of pipe.

I started from the back and worked forward, which seemed to work pretty good.

The 2.5 inch exhaust is great! Have fun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.