Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone out there has bought an exhaust kit which went on without major surgery ?? Has anyone used the Dynomax or the Flowmaster kits ??

What I am looking for is a kit that will let me have the pipes exit under the back bumper with a cross over. I am running headers and the pipes should be no less than 2.5" but preferably a bit larger (max 3.0"). The engine needs to breath well as it is a GM ZZ4 putting out 355hp.

The car is a 64 Chevelle SS.

Thanks in advance for the help/info.

------------------
The proud owner of a Hot Canadian 64-SS

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
I personally would recommend "Torque Tech". I bought their tail pipes for my '72. They fit very well. The front pipes and crossover pipe where made at our shop, but I wanted mandrel bent tails. As for the diameter of your exhaust, don't use 3" stick with 2.5". With 355HP you'll be happier with 2.5. If you use 3" you'll lose torque and it'll be very loud.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Hey Canuck, how about those 'leafs!

From a proud Sabres fan and owner of a 67 SS427.

By the way, I'm just about to order a 3" for my '67 from TorqueTech. A guy here in Buffalo wanted $600 to put a full 3" system on. Yeah right! I'll let you know how it goes.

( By the way, I'm really a Bruins fan but here in Buffalo I have to stay in the closet.)

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I have to agree stick with 2.5 inch pipes for your mouse!(I've heard really good things about the torque techs also, their number is:1-800-408-0016)
Hey Gene, Into Hockey eh!? I'm a die hard Wings fan and I sure died hard when they lost to Colorado of all teams, after shelling out 25 bucks to pay off my gambling debts to my Bro I'm a firm believer that the Aves are gonna take it all the way! Sorry to get off subject.

------------------
Steve
64SS-327-4spd

[This message has been edited by Steve D 64 SS (edited 06-03-99).]

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies... I will contact Torque Tech and see what they have to say... Do they have a web site ? I'll find that out pretty quick!

I have been leaning toward the 2.5" pipes because I don't want to scare the animals when I come & go. I had 3" pipes running from my Camaro and people would tell me that they could hear me coming from a 1/2 mile out of town
(I live in the boonies).

I understand that Flowmaster has a new 70 series muffler's which are supposed to flow well and keep your ear drums intact... Any recommnds ?

------------------
The proud owner of a Hot Canadian 64-SS

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Canuck-
As of the Aug 99 Super Chevy, they don't have a website. The 3 chamber Flowmasters are reasonably tame with full pipes, ask torque tech they also sell mufflers with their kits if you so desire.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I used the flowmaster 2.5" inch system on my 70ss and it fit very nicely. It also came with two sets of end pipes, one turn down and one straight.It has a crossover.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi there Canuck! I have a 68 malibu with a blown small block and I am running the 70 series Flowmasters with 3" aluminized pipe and the car purrs at an idle and cruising rpm. The nice thing about theses mufflers is that when I step on it, they let me know that there is many horsepower still there. They produce a great sound when the pedal is mashed! I think what I am trying to say is that you get the best of both worlds with these mufflers. The 70 series mufflers have 5 chambers and are also referred to as their "big block mufflers" On the A body cars such your and mine, it is a snug fit but you will not have to use a shoe horn to get them in and there has not been any problems with rubbing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.