3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our '68 with a 468 has the following for an exhaust system:

Hooker Super Comp headers
2 1/4" dual piping
Cross over behind the trans
Super Turbo center-in/offset-out mufflers
Turned down tips right in front of the bumper

It sounds cool idling, you can hear the metallic plink from the headers because the exhaust exit is so quiet. But I don't really like the quiet, it just doesn't have that authorative rumble and roar that a big block should have. When I get on it, it almost has a sputtering note, like when you put your lips together and blow.

What would be a good replacement for the Super Turbos, if I want it to sound better? We only drive it for fun on the occasional evening, so I'm not really worried about it being obnoxious inside. Oh, yeah, how were the Super Turbos for performance, anything out there noticeably better, while still being street-able?

Thanks for your help.

http://members.aol.com/kengibbons/auto/index.htm

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you're interested in glass packs - Blue Mississippis. I've got 18" on my Malibu and it sounds good, occasionally too quiet. That's on a 327 though. Your big block would probably sound great, I'm guessing. I've never met anyone around here who doesn't like their glass packs.
There's a 69 Camaro 327 around here with headers and 12" (I think) glass packs and it scares children from 3 blocks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a '69 Chevelle with a built 396. I used Flowmaster 2-chamber mufflers and they sound real good. I always get the thumbs up! They are more expensive them glasspacks. I think they were about $50 apiece from Summit Racing Equip.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I always said I thought Dynomax mufflers sound like garbage. Some people like that sputtering sound I guess. Go with the Flowmasters and you will NOT be disappointed. ANd you might want to step up to 2.5" piping.

BTW, to answer your question, The Super Turbos actually flow pretty well. The Flowmasters are about the same. Not a noticable difference between any good mufflers really. But look at the way those Super Turbos are constucted, climped on the sides to hold them together, and filled with that packing material. Just hold a Super Turbo next to a Flowmaster and you can see the difference. Flowmasters are solid. Sound mean too.

[This message has been edited by David Nafarrete (edited 07-11-99).]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Okay, so maybe glasspacks aren't the best choice for you.
While we're on the topic, though, does anyone have some advice for a 327 w/o headers? I'm not looking for quiet though. A 4 door doesn't intimidate without noise, you know.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey Malibu,
I have a 327 in my chevelle. Although I do have headers, I have 2 1/2 inch tubing with a balance tube. All of this is connected to 2 chamber flowmasters and dumps out at the rearend. It sounds mean. I have had more that one person ask me if I had a big block in the car. And trust me, IT'S LOUD!!! It is rare that I go through a parking lot without setting off a few car alarms. Even though you dont have headers, I still think it would make a noticeable improvement in the sound of your car. I had glass packs on mine before and it was like driving the car with a different, stronger engine when I put the new exhaust with flows on it. .........just my 2 cents worth.

----Jerry----

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Flowmasters, huh? What's the sound difference between the 2 and 3 chamber?

As a side note, we took the Chevelle to the 3 day Cache Valley Cruise-In in Logan Utah last week. 1038 cars registered, plus 60 or so un-official cars from club members. We won one of their best of show awards! Anyway, as part of the weekend, they have the "parade", they shut down the real "home town" mainstreet, and let the cars from the show cruise for a couple of well policed hours. The people from all around come and line the street like the 4th of July parade.

There are no burn outs, racing, or other stupidness (given the close proximity of on-lookers and other priceless cars), but they do let you uncork the headers. Guess what we did? You could tell the gear heads, they were the spectators with the biggest grins as we rumbled by. I need a happy medium between uncorked and Super Turbos.

·
Registered
155 Posts
In my '69, I went from a 307, 2B Rochester, stock single exhaust to a 350, 4B Holly, dual 2-chamber Flowmaster exhaust in one swell foop! (No headers yet.)

I would definitely recommend the FlowMasters. The 2-chambers are louder than the 3. At idle, the rumble is low and soft but there. (Your BB should be louder.) If you want to really attract attention, just bring the exhaust straight down under the car. It will resonate like crazy, even with the car off!!! A compromise that I would recommend though is to turn the exhaust out just infront of the rear wheels instead of out to the bumper. Nice loud sound but shouldn't break too many windows.

·
Registered
12 Posts
How about supertrapps? Never seen them on a chevelle before, but have heard them on my friends camaro and some guys mustang, and they sounded really good. Not only that but they are tuneable (which also effects the loudness).
In a test ran in Popular Hot Rodding, they were the closest to running open headers for et.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi Gibbons...I looked at your site and with 500 HP I would recommend a 3" system. You may find the 2-chamber Flows too loud inside the car but I have a mild BB with 2 chambers and I don't. Some articles from CHP and CC and even FlowMaster have suggested 3" pipes to the mufflers and 2 1/2" tail pipes for better scavaging. If your keeping your car for a long time and your budget allows I would recommend a mandrel bent system from TorqueTech or others that make them and I can guaranty that with your motor even 3-chamber Flows would be awsome, with the 2-chambers being what I would describe as "raunchy". Happy shopping.

Dave MacGregor
TC#27
" BigBlocks Rule
"

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Mr. Gibbons, I "cheaped" out and purchased 2.5" pipes and Summit $20 mufflers since I'll be going to a 3" system for my L88 ( whenever?) You want loud, baby go with the cheap Summits. I got out of the car the other day to get a pack of smokes ( yeah I know I've gotta stop), left the car running and they are LOUD. Not bad at cruise, but at WOT and at stop lights very loud. You will not hear the farting that is described from Walkers and you will no longer hear your headers.

BTW, TorqueTech told me that 500hp is the magic cutoff between 2.5' and 3". I would, at least, consider 3" head pipes.

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 07-12-99).]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.