Chevelles.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finishing up build of an SS454 clone from a solid Malibu coupe body and frame. Exterior and interior will look like the LS6 that I had years ago, but engine, drivetrain, chassis and suspension are all upgraded. Here's the details.

4L85E behind a 572/620 GM crate motor, driving a custom 9" Ford axle.
Lemons headers with 3.5" collectors.
HPI Customs chassis stiffening kit with their trans mount.
Full Hotchkiss suspension and Wilwood discs.

Anyone have a recommendation for a street exhaust that will fit with no or minimal modifications or fabrication?

I sure don't think I need a full 3.5" system. Will a 3" with X-pipe fit?

If anyone has this same drivetrain/chassis setup, would like to know what you used for exhaust. There may be be no big problem, but thought I should ask before I order something that doesn't fit well.

·
Premium Member
9,493 Posts
Yes if you don't move the stock shock location. Personally I put the Flowmaster pipes with a 20" case Ultraflos from Dynomax. If you plan on "higher RPM" maybe consider 3.5s with 3" tails

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
I used a Pyoes 3" system with their x pipe. Fit pretty well for not a custom bent system. I don't have your trans though. If you have a good local shop, you might want to consider having a custom bent system. That would be the best, if you don't want to have to makes modifications. But I'm sure you know that!

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
Oh yeah, how about some pics? Sounds bad azz!

Reactions: HKalin

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
i would consider a system using oval tubing for ground clearance. i wouldn't put anything less than a pipe with the area of 3.5 inch tubing

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I have Lemon's 2.125 pro-touring headers on a 540 in my 71 Chevelle. I fabricated 3.5" head pipes from some mandrel bent elbows and mild steel tubing. I reduced it to 3" using flowmaster venturi cones. This leads to 22" long magnaflow 3" mufflers and flowmaster tail pipes.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
I have a stainless steel 3" Magnaflow system with "X"pipe which is great for my 496 engine.

Claude.

·
Premium Member
9,493 Posts
RPM, and use will help decide what size to go with. I don't know if you will push more than 6,000 rpm.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looking at the underside of the car over the weekend as I worked on wiring and other stuff, I think my problem is going to be finding a bolt-in exhaust kit that has pipe spacing to fit the HPI Customs chassis brace that is about 18 inches behind the back end of the transmission. You can see in the attached photo that this brace acts as a driveshaft containment loop, and on each side of the driveshaft, the brace has openings for exhaust pipes. The center-to-center spacing of these openings is only 9 inches. Looking at pictures of exhaust systems on websites, it looks like systems that have an X-pipe spread the pipes out more than this after the X-pipe. Flowmaster's complete system has an H-pipe, and their photo looks like the pipes after the H are spaced closer together. I need to make some calls to manufacturers. If anyone has found a bolt-in kit that fits the HPI Customs kit, please let me know. I originally found out about them on chevelles.com, but their web site does not seem to be working right now. I should give them a call as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
The 3" flowmaster pipe kit I installed on my 66 Chevelle came with an H pipe kit that was optional. I had to cut holes in the headpipes and I was able to pick the location of the H pipe or I could've omitted it all together. By looking at your photo you should be able to modify an out of the box exhaust system assuming you have the knowledge and tools to do so.

·
Premium Member
9,493 Posts
Nice looking undercarriage by the way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts