Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. I have an original 1970 350 4bbl /300 hp engine in my Chevelle. The single exhaust that I got for it has a very slim looking tail section in the exhaust. I'd estimate about 2". Can this be correct. For 300 Hp it seems like a bottle neck was thi the case originally?

2. Where in the world should i plug the distributor advance tube? From the haynes manual I can tell that it's not in the right tube but I can't tell where it should go. I noticed that the one that I have it in has no vacuum!!! (I think it's in the anti diesel solenoid tube)

Thanks

Panu

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Panu, is that a Q jet? The ported vacuum should be on the lower left front of the carb. You can also just run this direct to the manifold vacuum. The ported vaccum kicks on at a certain throttle opening while the direct is, of course, on all the time.

2" seems really small, but keep in mind that the further down the exhaust pipe this "constriction" is, the better off you are. The temperature and pressure begin diminishing immediately after leaving the headers so that if this is at the tailpipe, you're probably OK.

Now things are different across the ocean, but single exhaust ???. Can I offer to smuggle duals in for you?

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 08-17-99).]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it's a Rochester 4MV. Hmm.. I might have it in the right one after all. The ported one is propably the one I'm usinge and while idling there is no vacuum, right?

Thanks for the offer Gene, but to get an annual tax exempt I have to register the car as a museum vechicle. Strick originality, hence my question on original tail pipe size.

Panu

·
Administrator
16,194 Posts
panu, I had the same engine in my 70 with a 4 speed and it had factory duals. I think they 2 1/4", I never did measure them.

If you are hooked into a ported vacuum you will have to bring the throttle up past idle to feel it. Sounds like your hooked to the right spot.

------------------
Philip Valentine
Team Chevelle Member #42 GOLD
[email protected]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.