Team Chevelle banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever shipped a console from a 66/67 Chevelle? I just won one on ebay, and now find out the shipping is $100! Seller said he'd split that with me though, but man, $100 to ship a console? I thought they were about 10 lbs

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
its seem quit high ........ but with buying the right box & bubble wrap & paying for Insurance & tracking & return recite........ & a roll of approved tape !!! it starts getting expensive to send stuff anymore :(

·
Premium Member
7,984 Posts
Take the split Bill. $50 is still a little high but not unreasonable if he is paying UPS to wrap and box it. I think he said $100 to make you feel better about the $50.

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Take the split Bill. $50 is still a little high but not unreasonable if he is paying UPS to wrap and box it. I think he said $100 to make you feel better about the $50.

I was thinking that also (inflated costs to make the $50 sound better) I think I got a good deal on the console though, so I'm excited to receive and get it installed :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
13,305 Posts
Bill,
UPS has really raised thier rates a bunch lately. I would also bet that a console would end up oversize if packaged properly. Where was it coming from ?

·
Registered
848 Posts
I shipped a bumper from my chevelle and it cost $60 to ship it.

·
Premium Member
6,172 Posts
I just shipped my whole dash off to be replated for $25; granted it was only going to washington which is probably 350 miles; I think this sounds a little crazy.

The return shipping including all the customs stuff was only $29, it will ship back from Canada.

If you can imagine this was a tall box; the part was light but fully packed it was probably close.

Just bought a cam from a member; I bet it was over 10 Lbs and it was only $17.

·
Premium Member
13,664 Posts
Bingo!:yes:

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
you can use the Bus, but you have to go and pick it up at the station. A lot of people don't want that kind of bother, but it is the only reasonable way to ship larger bulky items and expect to get a sale these days. Many carriers have what are known as DIM Charges or dimension charges for larger bulky items. For example one carrier (will not name) charged over $100 to ship a late model malibu (78-83) fender less than 1000 miles from southern new mexico to east texas. Another carrier charged $35 for about the same distance and to the same location. So rates are all over the map. Some carriers are paying close to union wage and these costs have to be passed on.

·
Gold Founding Member
3,080 Posts
Make sure it is insured for what it is WORTH, not necessarily what you paid (assuming it is worth more than you paid).
I thought USPS and UPS would only cover what you paid for the item, not estimated values. Someone once got a really good deal on something I sold (I had no idea what a vintage VDO guage was worth) and wanted me to insure it for 3x what he paid. I ask the PO how the based value and they said on ebay type sales they use the sales price. Otherwise it could be like the lottery, start shipping junk at inflated prices hoping for a loss or damage.

Back on topic, I always comfirm shipping if it isn't listed before hand.

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The package weighed eleven pounds and the actual shipping was $31.00, but he paid the extra for secure packaging, so I guess since I only paid the $50, it's not bad. Oh, it's coming from Fla, so it's coming out to me paying $405 for a console that is supposedly in very good shape..... We'll see

·
Premium Member
6,205 Posts
You guys are killin' me. I'd be glad to pay those shipping costs. I paid $50 to ship a $20 cardboard package tray once, and another $50 to ship a fan shroud. The post office is startin' to look less like a deal than it used to be on large boxes, too. Flat rate boxes seem to be the only deal left, but they're kinda small for most stuff.

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
Last week I shipped a complete 1971 dash with gauges, glove box, ash tray, radio, and dash pad from MD to TX. I built a crate 67"X21"X18" and weight 106 lbs. I insured it for $700.00 and cost me $156.00 via UPS. It got to TX in perfect conditions.

·
Super Moderator
16,155 Posts
You guys are killin' me. I'd be glad to pay those shipping costs. I paid $50 to ship a $20 cardboard package tray once, and another $50 to ship a fan shroud. The post office is startin' to look less like a deal than it used to be on large boxes, too. Flat rate boxes seem to be the only deal left, but they're kinda small for most stuff.
A friend of mine had a similar experience with a package tray. I remember paying an additional $10 or $15 for oversize shipping when I bought one years ago. Boy, things sure have changed!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts