Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my wife a 78 camaro (I know, but it was a good deal and she was taking to much of a liking to my chevelle). This car has 61000 original mile, but had problems. The cam was shot, one lobe on number one cylinder was totally gone and there was an 1/8 inch or better concave in the lifter. What would cause just one lobe too wear so much more then any of the others? This is a totally stock SB.

·
Registered
283 Posts
though your mileage is a little low the problem is not unusal. there are many possabilites that could cause this sort of thing. My best guess is the cam or lifter
wore through the hardening process, and once "soft" metal was contacted adios cam/bearings
gaskets maybe the crank/ oil pump. I am just
putting one back together that "ate" the cam before the end of the break in process. But
most of the trade in cores I get have one or
more lobes gone.

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
Mid '70's smallblocks were known for having "soft" cams and lifters in them. I've seen alot of them that were worn, but not to the point of causing a miss or popping.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hey Malibu,
Agree with previous info. Consider this the chance to get the cam you really want! Be sure you break in the new one or you will get to repeat the job. Good luck, mgg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Harley, I have already gave some thought to what happened to all that metal. The block is in the hot tank as we speak.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.