Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone kow of a way to quiet down the exaust. I just had a completly new exaust system put on my car, and its too loud when you are just trying to cruise around. Can you put some kind of a resonator tip on it or something like that? Mat ACES #2424

------------------

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you have turn downs before the bumper you'll get a lot of sound bouncing off the road. You might want to try running then straight past the bumper.
Also what size are you running, do you have headers, what type mufflers, etc.?

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car is a 70 SS 396, the pipes go straight out past the bumpers. No headers. The exaust is 2 1/2" pipes with exaust pros turbo mufflers. HELP

------------------

·
Registered
326 Posts
Balance tubes help a bunch. It will get rid of some of the resonance. And it is not too difficult to add one in. I don't know how your car sounds so I don't know what else you can do. If you have the mufflers clamped in I might try a different kind. My car has headers and the flowmaster kit with the balance tube. Cruising is nice and tolerable and when I jump on it it gets a little loud. Just right for me.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Take off your present mufflers and buy a pair of Walker Super Dynomax "Hemi" Turbos.
They aren't expensive at all and breath as good as any muffler available.
They sound great!

I think Jegs carries them for $36.99 ea.

------------------
Long time Chevelle fan and an owner since 1973

[This message has been edited by Bill64EC (edited 05-23-99).]

·
Registered
38 Posts
hey Jon66, dont give them a reason to pull you over! If you sound like your going fast , they will hassle you even if you're minding your Ps & Qs.Been there...done that and its not worth it.just my exp.

·
Registered
144 Posts
My dad had the same problem with his 70 w/ 454 when I was younger. It sounded more like drag car than a hi-pro show car. He bought resonators and they seemed to work well. They'll quiet it down but still make the car sound good. Another thing you may want to try is a crossover pipe. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I put turbos on my 67 396. I thought it was too loud too. I just got used to it. I would change the mufflers out if it is really a problem. Go with a stock length free flow muffler. The problem with the turbos is that they are just too short to do much good on a big block.

------------------
Jameel Qazi
#'s 67 SS

·
Registered
56 Posts
I guess 2 chamber Flowmasters without a set of tailpipes is not the right solution here !

Jake

------------------
Tubby's Drive In
www.ecsi.net/homedir/jake

·
Registered
166 Posts
I can barely hear my 70 SS 396 idling when I stand 10 feet behind it. The car has a stock dual exhaust on it, you wanna trade mufflers? Even my dad's 307 wagon sounds like it has more under the hood.

------------------
Ian McDermott
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Columbia University
New York, NY.
E-mail: [email protected]
Web page: chevelle.dhs.org
ICQ UIN: 3923441

[This message has been edited by Havoc (edited 05-25-99).]

·
Registered
25 Posts
i would just run open headers, but then again that is just me. i have a 72 w/smallblock, hookerheaders, 2 1/2 exhaust,and glasspacks and that isn't loud enough, but you gotta please johnny law.

mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.