Team Chevelle banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 71 ss LS5 and am trying to find vendor orshop to supply the sheetmetal over the exhaust manifold and the sheetmetal parts up to the air cleaner to bring hot air up to the carb.Most of this tin is referenced as stove pipe and is needed to complete the restoration.Can the members point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I have one from my 1970 350, q-jet. I do not know if the big block one is different but It is a single snorkel air cleaner. I can get pictures if you are interested

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
I have one from my 1970 350, q-jet. I do not know if the big block one is different but It is a single snorkel air cleaner. I can get pictures if you are interested

Big block heat stoves are totally different.

What's funny is, I have a BB heat stove setup but need the correct air cleaner, that's the way it goes.

Mike

·
Registered
432 Posts
Also, one from a Big Block Monte Carlo is slightly different than the Chevelle. The Chevelles have a two piece shield setup. (Stove around manifold, and riser up to the flexible hose to connect to air cleaner. The Monte has the riser already spotwelded to the stove. Avoid later 73-up setups that the sheild extends all the way to the front of the manifold, and has a round outlet off the front. They are not made to fit your manifold. I agree with other posters, this stuff is very hard to find in useable shape.
Jeff Dotterer
Dated Components
Diamond Restored Judge

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I can tell mine has FABCO stamped on the side of it. I haven't been able to get the companies online with that name to say they make them. Its a possible its an older reproduction. It the same as the old on I had on when I got it. That was pretty burn't up though. Let me see if I can post a picture of it. The adapter that is attached to the side I think You might need to have fabricated. Allways a chance someone will reproduce sometime. Classic Muscle sell the shields for the small block. They won't give me the name who they buy them from so can ask them to make the BB ones to.

·
Premium Member
7,962 Posts
These heat sheilds are not that elaborate. They shouldn't be that hard to reproduce so I don't understand why they aren't. There is demand. The things are only stamped steel, and given how they eventually rust or crack you'd think there would be repeat buyers. Just like how the original exhaust manifolds were once considered throwaway items but are now being reproduced, these things should follow suit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts