Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been 3-4 months since I pulled the old engine out. Everything is back together now except for wiring the HEI & starter. I forgot where everything goes
I did a search on this subject but just got more confused

67 Elcamino-ZZ430 with stock starter, & HEI distributor.
I bought a Quick-Disconnect starter harness that has three wires, one for each post on the solenoid.
Starter Harness:
14g Pink - near exhaust
12g Red - (center) also 6g battery connection
14g Purple- next to block
From the juction block:
12g Purple
16g? White (cloth like insulation)
20g Yellow (was solenoid-coil) delete?
HEI:
Battery -Pink
Tach - Brown
Wiring is very confusing for me. Pictures or, better yet cartoons, are easiest for me to understand, but I don't have any
Can someone tell me what wires go where?

------------------
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430 eng / 4L60 trans
"Canyon Carver"

·
Premium Member
7,051 Posts
I'll bet you've got an interesting story about how you got your hands on a ZZ430 - love to hear it and whether or not you got a deal on it. Anyway to your question:

Junction Block (JB) to Starter Harness (SH)
Purple 12g (JB) to Purple 14g (SH)
White 16g (JB){normally to coil+, but alas it is a resistor wire (w/reduced voltage); therefore, find another source for full 12 volts for HEI pink}
Yellow 20g (JB) to Pink 14g (SH) if you were using points type distrib.
Red 12g in (SH) will not be used in stock configuration.
HEI Battery Pink needs a switched 12 volt source (fuse block, relay, replace resistive wire, etc.)
HEI Tach Brown would go to Factory Tach Brown if available. Aftermarket to "Coil-".

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can I R&R the White wire with a regular 16g wire? Or does the voltage get reduced elsewhere?

I'll take pictures with my new digital camera as soon as I open it for Christmas and submit them to Al for the monthly "Feature Car"

------------------
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430 eng / 4L60 trans
"Canyon Carver"

[This message has been edited by Cardiac (edited 12-24-1999).]

[This message has been edited by Cardiac (edited 12-24-1999).]

·
Premium Member
7,051 Posts
You can R&R the white wire, most take it loose from the firewall plug. I've gotten the correct wire (color/guage) with spade from Year One for about $9.00 (not to imply that it's not available from anyone else). As an alternative you can run a new wire from the "Ign" spade on the fuse box. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.