Chevelles.com banner

41 - 60 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
After 39 years of marriage, my wife (financial adviser) will just ask what it will take. Then she triples the cost and doubles the time of my estimate as a guide. Most often, unfortunately, she is always closer.

The problem in this hobby is that a lot of people buy things with the unrealistic estimate of what it will take to do what they envision of a final result. I see so many unfinished cars sitting, projects for sale, marriages extremely stressed or fail. The point is I'm lucky my wife is supportive and I usually can find the cash to participate.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
One day I was out cruising in my SSR and was pulling into a shopping center. I heard some guy across the street shout out "NICE CUSTOM JOB!" That was probably 10 years ago when they were still rather "fresh". Obviously didn't know what it was. Even today I still have people comment that they've never seen one. At least it wasn't a "nice kit car" comment.

·
Registered
570 Posts
back in 1979 i was driving my flat black 55 chevy, think of "two lane black top" I jumped out on the high way and let it rip, . Then I saw those familiar red lights coming out of the mcdonalds after me.

I pulled over and the cop walks up to me, still eating his handburger and tells me hes got some 55 parts if i was interested.

another day we were testing my friends 69 mustang we just built a wild cleveland for, I jumped on it at a light and lost control did a 360 spin into the gas station and slid right up next to the pumps, .. people were watching so I did what every hot rodder would do,, I put $10 worth of gas in the car and left.

·
Premium Member
3,657 Posts
I always have people ask me if I want to sell my car. But the thing that really gets me is that I have had several people over the past couple of years actually ring the doorbell and ask me if the car is for sale. I find that to be pretty nervy.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
This is my worst story ever. I bought this all original 1969 Chevelle Malibu from the original owner in 1989. It had the 300hp 350, 350 trans, bench seat, a/c, ps, pb, and beautiful blue interior. It was originally Cortez silver. I was able to purchase that beauty for $900. Shortly after, I had my friend repaint it at his body shop for $3,000. It was done in black lacquer and was as straight as glass! I washed and waxed it two to three times a month, it was gorgeous! About a year later, I was going down the freeway and had the engine dies. As I start to get out of the car to open the hood, I check traffic flow to see if it was clear and safe. It was very busy at that time, rush hour traffic in California. To my horror, as I had one leg out and the door open, I see a car driving off the road right towards me. I let go of the door and dove into the Malibu. I was very lucky that day that I was paying attention to the traffic. Never! let your guard down on the side of the road, ever. Had I just got out without looking, I would have been cut in half. Even though I repaired the vehicle, the all original car was never the same. I ended up loosing intrest in the car and selling it due to the accident. See the terrible pictures below.

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
have a couple stories encountering our local police

years ago when I first got the 70 SS I was parking/storing it in my moms driveway with my 67 RS Camaro. I guess wind caught car cover and the nose of it was showing.

Local cop was patroling saw it stopped and proceeded up the driveway.My mom happens to glance out see's the cruzer parked in driveway and panics thinking something is wrong, She proceeds out side to find the cop pulling the cover back down. He asked if it was hers lol,, she replied no its too big ,too fast and standard transmission.

Now she got the cops intrest asks if he can check it out. He checks it out puts cover back in place and asks if its for sale she said no he got it a short time ago. He gives her his badge # phone, cell and detachment # and says if I am ever intrested to sell to call him that he is serios. Off he goes.

A week later she goes to lock front door there a cruiser just sitting out on the street, she goes out asks if anything wrong he replied just making sure car is ok she head back into the house and she heads to bed. I told her you have your own personal security This went on for a good two years until I finally moved the car to current house we have now with garage. Two weeks to the day after I moved it, a knock on the door its same cop in a panic wheres the car!! She told him I had moved it as I had a garage now. Her personal Homeland Security ended he stopped sitting out front house

Another time my wife and I were out for short cruz low and behold cruzer passes us does an abrut U turn now behind us, they followed us for good 20 mins, behind us, coming up beside us at stop lights. Wife asks arent you nervous there following us ,, the car is safe, legal and were just cruzing.

decide I better top up some fuel , pull into gas station and see them in next lot watching, go in pay come out,, go to start it click,,, click ah crap @##@%% the inevitable hot start header issue. Tell wife well were here for a bit hopefully cools off enough to restart, I pop the hood hoping it will cool down quicker (wishful thinking) I tell wife hope in and steer it off to the side so were not blocking pumps. If I can get it rolling fast enough pop clutch see if it starts no such luck.

Now we have there intrest were sitting on curb having drink, hood up, they pull up and get out. Asks me if anythings wrong told him whats happening and my paperwork in glove box if they want it, I said you ran the plates already when you were following us and he smiled and laughed . He said they were checking the car out as they havent seen one before in area.
After about 15 mins talking and them checking car out he asks you waiting for a tow I said no just cooling off hopefully it will restart. I tried to bump it with wife but could push it fast enough. Cop says if it will help we can push with you maybe get it rolling fast enough said sure if you dont mind. Wife got in and two cops and myself got it rolling yelled to her dump clutch fired up.

Thanked both of them and appreciated the help told them were good now,, I just wont shut off until we get home. we were right at the on ramp to the highway so when I pulled out and the light changed I hit it and let it go with them behind me, got on the highway and just kept pulling from them Figured thats what they had been waiting for and seeing they helped out couldnt let them down for a little roar of a big block winding up

I think now a days Officers are more intested and heat score on the 17 year olds with the honda civics and nissans with soup can exhaust. I know my area they drive like mainiacs speeding cutting in out of traffic cutting people off..windows all blacked out. I have seen some done really nice but the hazardous driving is crazy

Us Classic and Muscle car guys just like to cruize and drive our rides ,I believe we seem to respect our rides and other Classic car guys side more.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Great stories 454chev!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1968 Chevelle Malibu, upgraded to a 396/TH400 from a 327/PG
567 Posts
When I get my car, I’m looking forward to telling stories like this with you here. Until then, I’ll read and enjoy.

Reactions: joeyv69ragtop

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
My friend Bob Kimball and I were BS'ing in front of a vacant store just off of State Hwy 3 in Poulsbo, WA in about 1973 when Bob decides to hit the road. I told him he didn't have a hair on his ass if he didn't spin a few donuts in the middle of the highway before driving off. Given a challenge like that, Bob cuts 5 or 6 smokey donuts before he realized there is a Washington State Trooper gassing up at the Chevron across the street. So Bob ceases the donut show and meekly pulls his '69 428 Cobra Jet Mustang in next to the patrol car to await the ticket he had earned.

Reactions: RAMBO

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
My friend Bob Kimball and I were BS'ing in front of a vacant store just off of State Hwy 3 in Poulsbo, WA in about 1973 when Bob decides to hit the road. I told him he didn't have a hair on his ass if he didn't spin a few donuts in the middle of the highway before driving off. Given a challenge like that, Bob cuts 5 or 6 smokey donuts before he realized there is a Washington State Trooper gassing up at the Chevron across the street. So Bob ceases the donut show and meekly pulls his '69 428 Cobra Jet Mustang in next to the patrol car to await the ticket he had earned.

Did he write the ticket or just laugh? I would have just laughed and given him a thumbs up if I was the trooper.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Did he write the ticket or just laugh? I would have just laughed and given him a thumbs up if I was the trooper.

Back then the Washington State Patrol thought we were anything but funny. They detested us because (1) this was before 'eluding' cops was a felony, (2) our cars were faster than their 440 Plymouths and Dodges, and (3) we quit stopping for their lights. No it wasn't the smartest thing we ever did, but out on those winding country roads in the early '70's the only traffic on the roads after midnight was us and them, and we left them in the dust on many, many occasions. I only remember one guy busted for outrunning cops, and that idiot cut a corner and got his car hung up on a light pole guy wire. We and others like us around the country were why state legislatures eventually made outrunning cops a felony.

Reactions: Daron Craig

·
Registered
101 Posts
I got 2 . One time I was cruising up to the lake with an old friend in his 65 Impala SS . The car was cherry I mean real cherry Candy Wine paint built 327 the whole thing was primo. We must have been about 20-21 years old and were enjoying some suds on the trip up . We come up a hill with that little 327 singing like a banshee and passed Highway Patrol . Its one of those moments that you have the thought do we try to run we knew there was only one Patrol man in the area so he puts it to the wood and we start walking this Patrolman . Then we have the sobering thought that there is only one road up and back and decide to slow down . He catches up lights and sirens blaring and we pull over . We had just grabbed two fresh road sodas right before this all happened I toss my unopened can under the seat and he does the same . The patrolman walks up and starts giving us the riot act which we totally deserved . He asks if we've been drinking we of course say no and then he asks why are we going so fast and we give him some story about we just built the motor and it was running so good we couldn't help it. He says why didnt you stop when you saw me my buddy says officer I'm sorry I wasn't looking in my rear view mirror at those speeds I was watching ahead . Im sitting shot gun and the car is really smelling like beer and getting stronger . Next thing I see is beer shooting up in an ever so fine stream from right between my buddys legs .When he tossed his beer under the seat it punctured the can and as we were talking to this patrolman it was beer fountaining right up between his legs . Thank god he was a car guy and my buddy jumped out to show off the car . I quickly grabbed the can and did my best to contain the squirting lol . He ended up letting us go he knew if we were gonna get on the old girl that was the place to do it .

·
Registered
101 Posts
Another time I was cruising with this girl friend of mine that was a little well lets just say ''fun'' . She was friggin hot and I mean really hot way out of my league hot. We were cruising home from a all night keg party at like 5 am in the am and got pulled over . I had a nice lifted Chevy truck at the time with big mudder tires and loud pipes . It had a 383 sbc a local legend engine builder built for me . It was pretty clean and scooted those 35 inch tires real well. Anyway I had to get back to town to work and she wasn't even supposed to be with me at all her dad hated me which I never understood until I had my own daughter . So we are going way over the speed limit trying to get her and myself back in time for work and what ever engagements she had for the day . So of course I get pulled over for a 40 minute search and riot act reading . The whole time the officer keeps asking how old we are (which he knew he had my ID)and that he can take my girlfriend in because she didn't have her ID and looked young which we were at the time but both legal drinking age adults . The good thing is we were totally sober as it had been quit a while since either of us had our last drink. Finally I start getting frustrated and asking if hes gonna write me up or let us go and he's all over my truck got us sitting on the tailgate and he's getting more and more pissed off . Do you have any drugs do you have any drugs he keeps asking over and over and we didn't . Finally we realize he thinks we have weed because he can smell the road kill skunk that was right off the highway in the weeds next to us . I ended up jumping off the tailgate and walking over and grabbing the roadkill skunk walked back and said um excuse me sir is this what your looking for . He was so pissed at himself he just said GTFO of here and dont come back . We laughed all the way home .

·
Registered
15,537 Posts
One day I was out cruising in my SSR and was pulling into a shopping center. I heard some guy across the street shout out "NICE CUSTOM JOB!" That was probably 10 years ago when they were still rather "fresh". Obviously didn't know what it was. Even today I still have people comment that they've never seen one. At least it wasn't a "nice kit car" comment.
This reminded me of a funny one.

A few years back, I had a Mazda Miata that I bought for autocross. As I pulled into Culver's for lunch, a mother with kids was getting out of their car. A little girl, about 4 years old says to her mother in a very loud voice "THAT MAN HAS A TINY CAR!"

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Another time I was cruising with this girl friend of mine that was a little well lets just say ''fun'' . She was friggin hot and I mean really hot way out of my league hot. We were cruising home from a all night keg party at like 5 am in the am and got pulled over . I had a nice lifted Chevy truck at the time with big mudder tires and loud pipes . It had a 383 sbc a local legend engine builder built for me . It was pretty clean and scooted those 35 inch tires real well. Anyway I had to get back to town to work and she wasn't even supposed to be with me at all her dad hated me which I never understood until I had my own daughter . So we are going way over the speed limit trying to get her and myself back in time for work and what ever engagements she had for the day . So of course I get pulled over for a 40 minute search and riot act reading . The whole time the officer keeps asking how old we are (which he knew he had my ID)and that he can take my girlfriend in because she didn't have her ID and looked young which we were at the time but both legal drinking age adults . The good thing is we were totally sober as it had been quit a while since either of us had our last drink. Finally I start getting frustrated and asking if hes gonna write me up or let us go and he's all over my truck got us sitting on the tailgate and he's getting more and more pissed off . Do you have any drugs do you have any drugs he keeps asking over and over and we didn't . Finally we realize he thinks we have weed because he can smell the road kill skunk that was right off the highway in the weeds next to us . I ended up jumping off the tailgate and walking over and grabbing the roadkill skunk walked back and said um excuse me sir is this what your looking for . He was so pissed at himself he just said GTFO of here and dont come back . We laughed all the way home
Awesome!

41 - 60 of 117 Posts