Team Chevelle banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this becoming more common and to be expected?

Ordered a Carter 172 GPH pump from a well known outfit in NC.
The on line price was $92.58 plus $8-10.00 shipping, asked if it was in stock, was told "no it wasn`t but it would be in a few days"..... fine, no rush, I placed the order.

Few days later, the pump is dropped shipped, direct from Federal Mogul..impressive...until the bank statement showed $141.10!

Looks like an extra 40% or so...this is a first for me.

BTW...the money isn`t an issue here...it`s the principle and it just doesn`t sit well with me, anybody else have this happen?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
13,348 Posts
Have you called the outfit in NC ? What did they say ? Might have just been an honest mistake, they do happen you know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,901 Posts
i'd tell them they can have their pump back- shipped at their expense, of course- and that you will get it somewhere else that actually honors their prices.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
394 Posts
Once these folks get your cc#, seems like it's a go for whatever they want. I've had that happen a few times from chevelle parts suppliers. They always point out the "prices subject to change without any notice" clause they put in their catalog in small print somewhere, lol.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,373 Posts
this is easy..
if you can get if at the first price somewhere else...
call um up and say you want to return it..
if you can't get it somewhere else at the first price(because the wholesale price did go up) then keep it..
or call um and tell um you want a r.m.a. for a return of the pump.. because you found it elsewhere for the price the quoted you the firsttime..
you'll find they'll refund your c/c for the different before paying the cost of a return ship
if they say no.. just call the c/c up and have them stop payment to them..
 
G

·
Steve,
If that is the case, they should have at least called you and gotten an ok :(
Bill,
I agree.
I had this happen with a sponsor of this board. Billed my CC for additional amount without prior approval or a phone call to let me know.

I call it credit card fraud and my CC company agrees.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Steve,
If that is the case, they should have at least called you and gotten an ok :(
Exactly my thoughts Bill.

Once these folks get your cc#, seems like it's a go for whatever they want. I've had that happen a few times from chevelle parts suppliers. They always point out the "prices subject to change without any notice" clause they put in their catalog in small print somewhere, lol.
Seems underhanded...if it`s in stock and you`re given a price then that should be it. If not in stock tell us when it will be and indicate any price increase before hand.
I bet the companys initials are D H.
Almost but not quite..Never had a problem with Doug Herbert, always great service.
Anyway I`m waiting for a reply from them right now, just voiced my displeasure.

Al the least the guy should tell you that he'll credit you or cut you a good deal on pricing next time. No way to run a biz...
That`s how I see it too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
this is easy..
if you can get if at the first price somewhere else...
call um up and say you want to return it..
if you can't get it somewhere else at the first price(because the wholesale price did go up) then keep it..
or call um and tell um you want a r.m.a. for a return of the pump.. because you found it elsewhere for the price the quoted you the firsttime..
you'll find they'll refund your c/c for the different before paying the cost of a return ship
if they say no.. just call the c/c up and have them stop payment to them..
I think the above method is the way to go!
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top