Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put new rockers on my just brokein 454. After installing I fired her up with the covers off. It seems to have what looks to be glitter in the oil. As the oil flowed over the rough casting of the heads you can see the flakes sparkle in the oil. You can even take your fingernail and move the flakes. I'm not talkin a couple flakes either, I'm talkin metalic paint job. But the particles are like the size of a pin point. I tok the filter off and cut it open and found nothing. Noda!!!
Now wouldn't you think I would find something in the filter?

------------------
MY CAR
Stacey
67 chevelle

At sixteen I got my license. (One of the best days of my life.)

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
Just for the heck of it I'd take a couple of rockers off and make sure they aren't hitting the retainer, spring, valve cover, etc. You'll notice any marks easily on the anodizing.

It's probably normal wear. I know I've noticed the same thing before on a couple of engines. It may be that they're too small to be seen in the filter.
Jody

[This message has been edited by camcojb (edited 03-26-2001).]

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
Just cut open my last AC_delco filter. Looked fine to me. Can't say I've scene any glitter in my oil though. Even while draining it.

It is a good idea to buy one of those magnetic oil pan plugs. Mine is covered with metalic shards everytime!

------------------
71' 3880# with me. Big Block 402, TH400, 3.73 posi,
13.1sec @ 105 MPH (poor 2.1 sixty foot and rookie tuning)
--will be racing at Chevellebration 2001!--
Picture of me roasting the tires and other guy stuff
Video of me staging (smoke of course)

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
Stacey,

When I first broke in my 350, I had what looked like a motor oil based silver paint near the rocker arms. It kinda freaked me out. Spoke with my machinist and he told me to clean it up, and not to worry... assuming I didn't have mechanical interference (rocker/retainer) going on. It cleared up on its own.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1551528&a=11769071

------------------
Wes
'63 Nova SS Conv 350, ported DartII, 268XE, stealth intake, th350, 11" Holeshot, 4WDB, 3.08 Posi
'65 Chevelle Conv 400SB, 268XE, ported SportsmanII, RPM AirGap, 1 3/4"hedman, front disc, 12 bolt rear
'62 Nova Conv 350, mild cam, ported camel humps with 1.94/1.5 valves

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,687 Posts
Do you have bronze wall valve guides? I've seen that before too, years ago, and the only thing I could think of was wear from bronze guides.

------------------
von '69 300 Dlx SS TC #15 ACES #1575
My '69 SS

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It acured to me today that it might be my new roller tip rockers that I just put on. No sooner did I put these on did I notice the specks coming off the rockers.

------------------
MY CAR
Stacey
67 chevelle

At sixteen I got my license. (One of the best days of my life.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.