Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got done putting in a 1 1/4 inch front sway bar and am planing to put on a rear. Being short on cash thanks to my second Chevelle (can we start a support group?) I would like to get out as cheep as posable. Was planing on going with a 1 inch rear. I know there is a way to box you own control arms but don't know the details. Where to dril holes what kind of welder to use etc etc.

Thanks for the help

------------------
Hot66ss

66 ss
67 malibu
Aces Member 2380
Team Chevelle member #262
Http://members.aol.com/chvellss

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Hot66ss, I've never done this, but I've read about it here and saw Chuck Hanson do it on the old "not rod" TV. It seems very straight forward and something a weld shop would charge a pittance for. Even I, mr. all thumbs, would consider doing it

·
Registered
79 Posts
We have covered this topic quite a few times. Try doing some searches and check old posts in the Brakes & Suspension area.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Buck is right. He and I have done some posting on his subject and there was one post in particular that lists some manufacturers of inserts for the arms that you can simply weld in. If you're really hard up for cash I remember reading that someone even cut up a bumper jack and used the pieces to box his arms!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Chech out the Tech Archives area. This has a lot of info under the chassis section

·
Registered
138 Posts
In the Tech reference #16 it tells you where to drill the holes. I bought a piece of 1/8" x 2" flat bar and it fit perfect. Very easy especially if you have a mig welder.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I did this and it was really easy, and I did bushings at the same time. I used a MIG with ARGON gas, I didn't put a rear sway bar yet. The welding needs special care, you don't want to do a continuious weld at one time. Use care when welding thin metal so you don't cause it to warp.

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how do I go to tech referance #16?

Thanks

HOt66ss

·
Registered
423 Posts
Dang;

I'm going to have to talk to Al about adding the "technical reference" section to the "hop-to" link

You can get to the technical reference section from the index page.

Wes. Vann (technical reference)

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay maybe im just stupid but I read the tech reference thing and I still have a question. I'll quote the guy who said "I located the holes by holding the bar in place and marking the arms with a felt marker." Okay guy sounds good but what is exactly "In place"? How do I know when the bar is "in place"? sorry for the stupid questions

Thanks for the help

------------------
Hot66ss

66 ss
67 malibu
Aces Member 2380
Team Chevelle member #262
Http://members.aol.com/chvellss

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hot66ss,

I located my holes using a lexan template that was provided to me by Chris Reno (I have posted his email address in quite a few other posts about this topic). As far as I know he is still supplying his kit to box rear arms.

I also remember the exact measurements being posted for locating the hole. Try searching and you should be able to find this info.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hot66ss;

I'm "the guy" and I guess your question is valid as to "in place".

At the time that I wrote the article, I didn't have the dimensions for the holes (that information was added latter). What I knew at the time was that the bolts went through the centerline of the arms. Due to the lower arms angleing (sp) inward, the bar can only be positioned fore and aft a certain amount. Plus the fact that the bar should be centered under the axle centerline.

It just kind of fits into place.

Wes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.