Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Just bought a 402 BB from my father-in-law. He is telling me that it will cost me about $1000 to get the block trued up (line bored) and for the pistons. Is this about right? I'm looking for about 425 to 450HP any help?

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Wat u gunna do about the,rods,cam,crank,heads,lifters,etc. Kinda hard just to throw pistons at a motor and hope the rest is ok, the most recent 402 I have built was 9 mos ago for my 69 L89 car the motor rebuilt using every thing new including the balance and the blue printing was $4200.00 there is one of our members that owns a high performance machine shop, with any luck he will see your post and chime in , he is very good with these sort of questions, Bill K is the guy u need to talk to, L89SEDAN

[This message has been edited by L89SEDAN (edited 01-24-99).]

·
Registered
38 Posts
John,
Your father-in-law's "line boring", is more than likely meaning having the cylinder's bored over-size, and then buying pistons to match the new bore. (Align boring is actually trueing the main bearing caps, usually by honing.)

My latest big-block rebuild cost me $3200 in labor/balancing/blue-printing; $2900 in hi-po parts. A basic job can be done for under $1700, using a good machine shop and parts. Bargain-basement parts and install, I would put at $800. (Still not cheap, but at least you would know what you have when your done)

Keep an eye open for a salvage vehicle.....I bought a burned moter-home with a 454 and 24,000 miles for $175. Cheapest 'rebuild' I've ever done!

Have fun.

·
Registered
13,157 Posts
John, we just built a .030 over (408) 402 for my sons 71 SS clone. I always buy parts mail order (prices are VERY competitive, shipping is usually free and most have 800#), this time from Summit. ALL parts & machine which included balance and port matching and some bowl work on the heads (about $600 extra over a valve job), was about $2500. We went with Federal Mogul hypereutectic pistons (about 10.2-1(a small dome) with 72 oval port heads), a cam with about .550 lift, roller tip rockers, aluminum intake with a Qjet and we had the 2.19/1.88 stainless valves installed. We didn't want to pay $300. to run the engine on a dyno, but this probably got us 420-440hp. The car has a wide ratio 4sp and 3.31 posi and a functional Cowl hood. It is very strong after the cam comes in (about 3000rpm). So I think you should honestly expect to spend $2500-4000. to get the results you want. You MIGHT get close for $2000, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut-----------------------------.

------------------

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sending in my old pick-up truck 454 to the shop next week to bring it up to snuff (should be about 400 to 450 HP). For new cast-iron heads with re-boring, Holley 4-barrel, intake manifold, and cam-shaft plus labor (and a few other little odds and ends) - $2,500.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I bought my 427 a few years back (my first bb build) It had been sitting disassembled in a garage for 14 years, (.060 to clean the bores!)
Point is you can't put a price on a question,
what was origanally budgeted as a $2500 redo turned into a $5000 pit, the only salvation is that it's a true Corvette assembly so I can get something back if I ever sell it.

------------------

·
Registered
13,157 Posts
See what we mean, John.

------------------

·
Registered
7 Posts
John,
I am in the process of doing the same thing with a 396 BB.I got a machine shop to give me prices and what he that needed to be done.I will spend about $1200 for machine shop and $1200 for parts from P.A.W.(818)678-3000.

My machine shop is redoing my heads with a three angle valve job,mill heads,install hard seats,install valve guides,and clean and mag.

As far as my block I will get cleaned,mag,bore&[email protected] over,Aligh bore block,deck block,install cam bearings,clean& mag rods,press pins into pistons,clean&mag crank,gride crank @.20 over,and last balance engine.

That will run about $1200 that is with out and parts.

From PAW I got what they call a deluxe master rebuilt kit.That comes with gaskets,pistons,rings,oil pump,main bearings.Then I got a Comp cam K kit.Its comes with cam,lifter,valve locks,springs,retainers,valve stem seals,timing chain w/gears.Also some extras I needed were stainless steel valve,cam bearings,roller tip rocker arms,push rods,cam button and cam plate.That all add up to less than $1200.

I hope before I am done with the engine I will put in about $3K.I plan to put the block together to be able to save a little of money.

------------------

·
Registered
15 Posts
John,
I had my 468 sent out for a refresh this past summer. I originally budgeted $2200 for the rebuild. After getting in there and tearing it down, it needed a little more (ok... it needed a lot more) work than I had originally thought. It cost me $3500 when everything was said and done, but I had a nice 500+ hp monster under the hood
Bottom line, whatever you budget for this project, double it and you will probably not only come in under your budget, but get a great motor in return. Just my .02 Chris

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all your input fellows! I really need all of it!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm getting ready to do something about the 402BB in my '71 El Camino, and after pricing a basic rebuild(deck the block, bore .30 over, with a simple engine kit-$2200.00), i decided to look into a factory crate engine. The 455 has all the good parts, including a factory warranty for $3895.
This price is not only from Yare One or OPGI, but also Scoggin-Dickey Chevy in Lubbock, Tx. I could drive the 125 miles and pick one up.
If I decided to just buy new heads for my original 402, I could easily spend as much or more than a rebuild. This way I REALLY know what I've got. Also my .02

Mark

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.