Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night, while crawling around under my "new" '66 SS (trying to get the bleepin' starter bracket bolt off the block!) I noticed an equalizer pipe welded between the two 2 1/2" header pipes.

I'm interested in the pros and cons of this crossover. I think it helps to explain why the doggone thing runs so quiet with it's 3-chamber Flowmasters compared to the awesome rumble of my 2-chamber FM's on my '70 SS (which I love by the way). Does this really improve low-end torque? Or is it redundant with the crossover in the intake or what? I kind of hate to remove it and weld in new pipe since the exhaust is very new aluminized and looks gorgeous, now.

Thanks in advance.

------------------
Stan Hanek
'70 SS - 396 4 sp.
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Stan (edited 08-12-99).]

·
Registered
834 Posts
I would say leave it there. As for improving low end torque, i don't know, i've never had one but i've thought about putting in a crossover before. One of the cons for me is that it does muffle the rumble of the exhaust, the pulses won't be as loud. As for pro's, I can't really give you any because I don't know enough about them but they are there because otherwise no one would use them.

------------------
Chris Dagenais
CST Kelsey
'71 Malibu soon to be 454!
http://member.xoom.com/Gandalf80/Chris'sPage

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Trent. Some interesting responses, particularly the ones relating to pulling the tranny - which I have to do!! Darn.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.