Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to replace full quarter panel skins, a friend suggested using the new epoxy method. He has bought a special gun that is supposedly being used on new cars ($120!!) and used it to put in a roof panel on a 30's car. Looks good, feather filled edges and its SOLID. Anybody here heard anything or used one?????

·
Registered
421 Posts
Well it sould like we're taking yet another step towards being real model cars. It be solid under low stress but I'd hate to see what happens if it's in an accident.

------------------
Francis Taracido Gold# 201
[email protected]
History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man.
Oh No! You Know She's Got To Go!
Go Go Quadzilla! <oo=+=oo>

·
Registered
24 Posts
I know a couple bodymen, and all of them speak very highly of this "glue". Its been proven that this epoxy when used correctly creates a bond stronger than a weld, so durability in an accident should be excellent. Plus, there is no chance of warping the panel from welding heat. Right now one of these bodymen is replacing a quarterpanel on a montecarlo using this epoxy, I'm curious to see how well it will work.

Rob
------------------
Now: 67 Malibu 4-door
283/PG
In 5 years: 69 COPO/427

[This message has been edited by COPO427 (edited 04-29-2001).]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Are there any online sourses for this process? Sounds intresting and would like to read up on it.

JD

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
The problem with using this panel bonding material is it is not designed for structual panels. It is fine for a late model that has a inner structure safty cage with a bonded outer skin but stick with your welder for putting a 1/4 on a chevelle. FYI I have seen several cars in accidents that were hit in one place and panels in a completely different part of the car broke away just from the jar of the accident.

------------------
-78 Malibu "turd" w/ junkyard small block mid 8's in 1/8th
-64 GTO convertible planning stages
-looking for 66/67 Chevelle wagon body

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.