Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering swapping the front drums on my 70' Malibu to a power disk brake set-up from SST and need to know if I am producing enuf engine vacuum for the disk brakes to work without problems. At idle and in gear, the hg manifold vacuum reading is right at 10-11 hg's. Is that enuf vacuum to operate power disk brakes? Thanks for the feedback folks!

------------------
70' Malibu - 383 'Dental Gas' Inhaling Stroker! Gold Member #39
Chevellz Alwayz!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hey Wes,
Just did same conversion on my 65 w/ 300HP/350. My car hold about 11" @ idle in gear and the car stops just fine. Do it! mgg

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hey Wes,

I had disc brakes on mine but didn't run a power booster because of the tall valve covers and it stopped just fine. On the street as well as at the track. But if you are considering buying a disc brake kit, have you checked out the Wilwood front disc brake kit? I just recently installed one of their kits on the front of my 70 and I am VERY pleased. They are 50 pounds lighter than stock disc brakes as well. Just an idea......good luck!!

Aug98
Gold#25

[This message has been edited by Aug98 (edited 07-07-99).]

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aug98 that sounds like an interesting option, especially shedding 50lbs of weight!

Couple of questions for you: What did you pay for your kit and is there a performance loss by going to disc brakes without the power booster as opposed to having them?

------------------
70' Malibu - 383 'Dental Gas' Inhaling Stroker! Gold Member #39
Chevellz Alwayz!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.