Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i went to gather my parts to reassemble my 69 i found i had misplaced a lower. So while shopping and looking at ball joints i would need, I came across speedway's upper and lower A arms for 500 bucks. I decided to splurge a little and went for it. This cautionary tale is intended for anyone looking at these specific parts. The attached pictures are the replacement items i got today. The first sets that i got were even worse. I had asked for this order to be checked before sending and the great rep i spoke to did request that but someone dropped the ball. I'm going to end up using these in my mock up and then blow them apart, fix some welds, replace ball joints, and powder coat them. If i had to do it again i would have went up to the next tier of UMI or the like and gotten a perfect product the first time for 3 times the price. While i did not expect showroom finishes I don't think exposed metal is acceptable. I'm guessing any others on the speedway shelves will have these problems. I wiped the surfaces before these pictures so that is not dirt but just a trashed finish. Just fyi.

Automotive tire Tire Bumper Bicycle part Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Rim Automotive wheel system Gas Metal
Bicycle frame Automotive tire Bicycle fork Bicycle tire Bicycle part
Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive tire Wood Material property

·
Registered
28 Posts
You could have gotten those off eBay for under $300 for the uppers and lowers.

·
Premium Member
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll bet those were returned after someone else didn't like them, and then nospeedway sent them out to you.
I don't think so. I think the powdercoat is bad on this whole batch and they only had cardboard between them. a long ocean voyage and stacking too high probablmy accounts for most of the damage. Hence my caution as i think there are another couple hundred like this on their shelves.

·
Premium Member
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You could have gotten those off eBay for under $300 for the uppers and lowers.
Yea i was a little scared of that route. figured these were halfway between those and the nice ones. guess not.

·
Premium Member
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So you're complaining about the Finish? Oh man wait till they start falling apart and the ball joint break
I havent seen much about these breaking. The one example from here has made the rounds but i haven't seen much more actual experience with breaks. If you know of some can you point me to them?
They are heavier duty then my stock arms. The welds look good except for where i noted. I do intend to change the ball joints for the sole reason of the one person here that had one break.

·
Premium Member
6,485 Posts
the speedway arms are said to be for circle track racing cars, not for street use. That is what I was told as I was looking at them for my G-body and the speedway tech told me that if I was running it on the street I should look at a different brand as their arms are intended for circle track use. Just a heads up, based on what I was told.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I looked at inexpensive upper and lower fornt control arms they look great in the picture and for under $500 you can get a set that has a lifetime guarantee, but they are made in china and i am not sure how good they are, now the UMI ones are more money but made here and look pretty heavy duty, $300 for a set of 4 that is really cheap

·
Registered
1964 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu 4 door
2,259 Posts
Looks like summit, speedway, jegs, etc are getting these same arms and rebranding them. I'm running these, unsure of brand name. There's a lot of quarrels about running cheap arms and I understand, run these at your own risk. There's no support for these if something breaks, no replacement parts, no numbers to call, 0 liability.

·
Premium Member
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks like summit, speedway, jegs, etc are getting these same arms and rebranding them. I'm running these, unsure of brand name. There's a lot of quarrels about running cheap arms and I understand, run these at your own risk. There's no support for these if something breaks, no replacement parts, no numbers to call, 0 liability.

too funny. if you zoom in on some of that link's pictures you can see bad powdercoat.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes, folks. There is likely only one or two manufacturer of these in China.These are getting rebranded/labeled/named and sold at wide range of prices. If buying these, it makes no sense paying $500 or $600 from them at various vendors, when you can find them for under $300 on ebay all day long. The price difference alone will leave you money left over to buy better ball joints if you are so inclined.
run these at your own risk. There's no support for these if something breaks, no replacement parts, no numbers to call, 0 liability.
Other than ball joint failures, which were few, during the early release of these, the myth of these failing are just a myth. But if you have proof that we should be scared, please post it.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
I bought the UMI Perf Upper & Lower Tubular Front Control Arms that already had the better Ball Joints
best Fit/Finish I have ever seen/used
Bought all my Upgraded Suspension Parts from UMI Perf
Why would you buy cheap Chinese Junk just to Repair it / throw it away !!??

·
Registered
28 Posts
Why would you buy cheap Chinese Junk just to Repair it / throw it away !!??
Why would you pay 3+ times for those that give no better performance than the Chinese arms with upgraded ball joints!!?? Not everyone has money to burn, which is something hotrodders also had some experience with going back to the 30s.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
So you must be a betting man who does not think that those Chinese Arms are going to break sooner than later
and cause a problem/accident that could kill someone ??

I doubt that those Chinses Arms will give as good of perf than the ones I bought made in the USA
by a company that cares if the customer and others get home safely IMHO

Being a Pensioner I do not have $$ to burn but I do not want to buy something twice
when I can just buy it once and know it will be safe and work properly
Buy cheap and you will likely get something cheap that will not last !!

·
Premium Member
7,568 Posts
Why would you pay 3+ times for those that give no better performance than the Chinese arms with upgraded ball joints!!?? Not everyone has money to burn, which is something hotrodders also had some experience with going back to the 30s.

Not about to put this on my $60,000 Chevelle and drive it. Rewelding will only weaken the parent metal which is already Chineseum. The weld won't break, it will break next to the weld. Life's a gamble.
Bicycle frame Automotive tire Bicycle tire Bicycle part Bicycle fork

·
Registered
28 Posts
So you must be a betting man who does not think that those Chinese Arms are going to break sooner than later
and cause a problem/accident that could kill someone ??
In the nearly 10 years these have been available, how many reports have there been on them breaking? Accidents or deaths? Seems like a safe bet so far. There are hundreds and hundreds of these on Chevelles today. Will they break? I'm sure they could in the right condition, just like the OEM ones could.

The pic above of the crappy weld are not what most have received and installed on their $60K Chevelle. Out of the dozen threads on these arms, the consensus by your fellow forum members is that the quality of the welds are fine, but the ball joints are suspect. There are hundreds and hundreds of theses arms on forum member's Chevelle right now. Don't take my word for it, look through the threads yourself.

How exactly do yours perform any better? Are you able to achieve better alignment numbers with yours? I have never seen any forum member state that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts