Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what I'm doing? My 70'Chevelle is a dog. It has a 396, 40 over, 750 Edlebrock Carb, 400 trans with 2500 stall engine and trans just recently rebuilt, the cam is a 280H Torquer .500 lift. Rear end is 12 bolt non posi 3.55 gears. Thinking of jumping up to a 305H compcam .575 lift. Is that the best thing to gain more power or should I do something else. Thanks for any help..

·
Registered
7 Posts
You didn't mention your heads or exhaust headers? Stock heads will limit your flow potential and you'll see a big improvement with your current setup if the heads are massaged.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
sounds like a good combination that should pull well even with stock heads in good condition. couple of things I can think of is first compression ratio, you need 9.1 or better with this cam, if your static compression is too low then cylinder pressure is going to be too low with this cam. Next would be timing, make sure initial timing is good and both mechanical and vacuum advances are working correctly. Retarded timing will make the engine a slug. I wouldnt go with the 305 cam, I have this in a 427 and it is a wild one, not what I would consider a street cam, more like a weekend only toy that blows gas out the tailpipes! And this cam needs 11:1 compression and better heads/induction to work correctly. Put it in your engine without the right supporting equipment and you will get beat by mopeds!

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
55 chevy prostreet

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.