Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whenever i turn off the ignition, the engine keeps trying to run instead of dying immmediately. sometimes there are even some noises that don't sound very good. i've read of using a diode on hte ignition wiring to stop the extra current. what kind would i get and how do i install it if this is the right way to fix the problem? thank you.
Don

·
Premium Member
9,705 Posts
It sounds like (no pun intended) that you have run-on or "dieseling" which is the result of: high water temperature, lean mixture and throttles open too far at idle. Change those and you will shut off ok. Maybe you need an idle solenoid to drop the throttle back when you kill the ignition.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
That happened to me once. The HEI ignition wire was still getting power from it's source when the key was off, for some reason. Do you have points ignition, HEI Ignition, or a Mag?

------------------
Trever Maas
TC Member #: 1432

1972 Chevelle Malibu
Mohave Gold
L65 350/M38 TH350
2.73 AXL RATIO

1948 Chrysler Windsor
Flathead 6/Semi-Auto
4 Speed Column Shift
Fluid Drive Transmission

"Both Undergoing Slow Restorations"

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just bought this chevelle and it has an msd ignition box. that's all i know.

------------------
Don
1968 Chevelle 396
12.7 @ 107

·
Registered
25 Posts
Don...I see from another post that you have an MSD box. If so they are prone to run-on. Mine came new with a diode in the box. I installed the 6AL and had run-on so I put the diode in...solved the problem HTH.
terence

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.