Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 70 elcamino with a 502, car runs great except for this one sporatic problem. On any given day the car does not want to shut off. It starts out by the tach needle bouncing around and the volt meter doing the same, if i try to shut the car off at this time, it will just run on (deisel) and the only way to shut it down is to turn off the electric fuel pump. Then at other times it will just clear up on its own, any ideas, need help!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Sounds like my problem I was just going to post.
Only mine had a wire short out,now it won't shut off.Key off shows all the way dischage still running.
I've been tracing mine from coil +, to bulk head, now to ignition switch. :mad:got to take dash apart now.

Hope I did'nt steel your post to.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU TO :D

·
Registered
196 Posts
Is it MSD?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dan, yes it is a MSD, could that be a problem? The last time i put it away for the night, it was doing its thing, tach bouncing, volt meter, come morning uit did'nt want to start, turned the key on and nothing, no radio, no guages, checked the batt. 12.5 v, jiggled a few wires up near batt. Got in and this time it started and ran o.k.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Richs Elky I think with the 6AL MSD. You might need a diode spliced into one of the wires going to your regulator. It I remember right, it should be mentioned in your MSD instructions.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Got mine going,ran a wire to accesories on fuse box ,with power on only with key on.Look for bad wire later,but I would have to take instrument panel off. :(

You could try that to or diode trick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts