Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 malibu and i want to do some rewiring and was wondering what where the thick black wire and white wire going to the starter solinod. The white wire looks like it gets split and goes to the dist then down to the starter solinoid.

thanks,

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Guessing the thick black wire, at one time, used to be purple. This line runs down to the "S" terminal on the solenoid. It is the wire that powers the starter when you turn the key to START.

The white wire is normally yellow on drawings. This wire comes from solenoid terminal "R". When the starter is turning, 12 volts comes out of terminal "R". This 12 volts is applied to coil (+) to help start the car. When you release the key, the 12 volts from terminal "R" shuts off. You will still have voltage on terminal "R" from coil (+) but it doesn't do anything when the car is running.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a msd 6al box and a hei distributor with a coil on the hei. Does the yellow wire go to the starter then to the msd box or does it just go to the box from the wiring harness. When i pulled my motor i tried to label everything but i missed this wire. The purple wire went to the starter and the yellow wire went down to it but i don't remember unhooking it from the starter. I know its hooked up the the red wire on my msd box the one that the instructions say to hook up to the heavy red or pink wire from the car harness.I guess my question is does the yellow wire go right to the msd box or does it go to the starter and then back up to the msd box.

thanks,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts